Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Reign of Steel / Supers Game

Know I'm wondering what sort of character I would play ---

A magneto style power set would be lots of fun, without multiplicative multipliers wouldn't be cost effective, as you're going to want a lot of range on the ability.

500 points is enough that characters can start going for 'prime invulnerabilities' abilities that make them impossible to kill if they're paying attention.

Bricks are especially not a good idea in this game!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Bricks are especially not a good idea in this game!
A team might need some big, strong brick, if nothing else than for defense and distraction. Super-strength might not be that valuable, but being able to absorb a lot of damage could be very useful.

Human lifespans are short in Reign of Steel, and supers would likely be very rare (given how few regular humans there are still alive). Having someone who could protect the supers from the high-damage inflicted by robots could be key.

Really useless would be telepaths - but cyber-telepaths who can commune with computers would be great...
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
Really useless would be telepaths - but cyber-telepaths who can commune with computers would be great...
Telepaths would be very useful for coordination of teams without using that pesky radio which the robots can use to track you! You wouldn't want your telepaths to be front-liners, but they'd be essential rear-echelon units who would not only give the team an instant link to base, but also permit the group to communicate with each other without talking.

I probably wouldn't want to play one myself, but I've known some people that would.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #14
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Telepaths would be very useful for coordination of teams without using that pesky radio which the robots can use to track you! You wouldn't want your telepaths to be front-liners, but they'd be essential rear-echelon units who would not only give the team an instant link to base, but also permit the group to communicate with each other without talking.

I probably wouldn't want to play one myself, but I've known some people that would.
If your telepath can just speak to minds, not control, could be cost-effective. It's more the mind-control that wouldn't be so helpful, or stuff like it (mind-swap, entering dreams, etc.).

Though if one was facing off against bio-mechanical Denver AI, which uses human brains to increase its computing power, maybe telepathy would work on it?
Old 04-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
Super-strength might not be that valuable, but being able to absorb a lot of damage could be very useful.
Yeah, being a damage sponge is useful -- but that makes you a damage sponge, not a brick. You don't be one by buying up ST -- you crank HP, Injury tolerance, regeneration, and the like. Wolverine is an excellent bullet sponge. He's not brick. Perhaps I have an overly narrow idea of a brick, but my idea includes ST as well as durability.

yes, Cyber Telepaths are very powerful here.

If your telepath character can speak to more than just human minds and see through the eyes of animals, you've got a more powerful idea -- he becomes a scout (and in this battle, knowledge is everything). If he's a gadgeteer who 'borrows processing time' from others, you've got a nice rounded support character.

An electricity themed incorporeal blaster would be lots and lots of fun.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
Boomerang

Concepts so far:

Commander: party face and psi (but not telepathy) with compartmentalised mind.
Scout: with powers like detect, flight and chameleon.
Spy: with powers like morph, mimicry, 360 degree vision.
Speedster/sniper: enhanced time sense, super running etc.
Tank/heavy gunner: like an earth elemental, can burrow, has high strength and health, injury tolerance etc.
Medic/explosives expert: healing power, stretching, regrowth, injury tolerance.

All characters get some DR and regular regeneration for free (not included in point total).
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #17
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yeah, being a damage sponge is useful -- but that makes you a damage sponge, not a brick. You don't be one by buying up ST -- you crank HP, Injury tolerance, regeneration, and the like. Wolverine is an excellent bullet sponge. He's not brick. Perhaps I have an overly narrow idea of a brick, but my idea includes ST as well as durability.

yes, Cyber Telepaths are very powerful here.

If your telepath character can speak to more than just human minds and see through the eyes of animals, you've got a more powerful idea -- he becomes a scout (and in this battle, knowledge is everything). If he's a gadgeteer who 'borrows processing time' from others, you've got a nice rounded support character.

An electricity themed incorporeal blaster would be lots and lots of fun.
Good point on difference between brick vs. damage sponge. It's just that all bricks are damage sponges to some extent, and bricks are such a common super type that the two get conflated. Wolverine's a great example (though even he does have some enhanced ST).

Totally forgot about gadgeteers! Though the line between super-gadget and just regular high TL device is a thin one. One would have to explain why a super-gadget can't be mass-made (by humans or the AIs).

Generic blasters also wouldn't be as useful in this setting, since there is so much heavy weaponry about, not to mention high DR. But electricity-specific could be great (as could anything magnetic). Less useful? Fire/flame, since robots aren't flammable.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #18
Jasonft

Suggestion - For your 'brick', how about someone with Summonable allies? If you can touch bare earth and call up an elemental (sorta) thing to stomp on the guard bots while all of you run like heck...

Just make sure you buy the power booster that says that if your Ally dies it isn't gone permanently.

Affliction (Cursed) might be affordable at 500 points. Very useful if you can infect the local Mind sub units!

Luck, Super Luck, and Serendipity a must in this setting. Especially the Serendipity if you are scrounging for supplies.

Warp would be lovely if you can put enough distance on it.

And of course somebody in the group or associated with it has to be a Gadgeteer.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #19
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
Suggestion - For your 'brick', how about someone with Summonable allies? If you can touch bare earth and call up an elemental (sorta) thing to stomp on the guard bots while all of you run like heck...

Just make sure you buy the power booster that says that if your Ally dies it isn't gone permanently.

Affliction (Cursed) might be affordable at 500 points. Very useful if you can infect the local Mind sub units!

Luck, Super Luck, and Serendipity a must in this setting. Especially the Serendipity if you are scrounging for supplies.

Warp would be lovely if you can put enough distance on it.

And of course somebody in the group or associated with it has to be a Gadgeteer.
We already have six players, I don't want to slow down combat further by having minions to deal with as well, so no summoning of creatures allowed.

Warp is cool, the psi can do that.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #20
marvin

A long time ago I ran a Reign of Steel / Cybergeneration crossover game. As the Evolved types in Cybergeneration are in a sense low level supers the idea might be pertinent.

I had the robot revolution occur within a slightly modified Cyberpunk 2020/Cybergeneration timeline and then introduced the Carbon Plague as someone's attempt to level the playing field.
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reign of steel, supers