Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #11
arnej

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Loner

Having a lot of fun with my Loner Stargate character. Kinda riffing off the "loneliness of command" bit. A party half military, half civilian, some with some competence issues. He yells, gets ignored, then leaves to "scout ahead."

One great moment was when he scouted ahead, and was way more sneaky than he was observant. Did not detect the enemy patrol heading our way, but they also missed him. He totally sat out the subsequent fight, as he was several miles up the road from where the enemy patrol encountered the rest of the group.
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
evileeyore
Banned

I used to put Loner on the errant Character sheet, you know when I wanted play the tough-guy loner.

Eventually I realized I didn't want to deal with the problems of Loner, just roleplay the guy who wants to occasionally wander off alone for some 'me' time. So I started putting down Loner as a Quirk. It's worked better since then.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
I don't envy your GM at all, a "group" of mostly Loner PCs (and players wanting that kind of gameplay) would take a lot of effort to coordinate. Might as well run a bunch of mini 1-man campaigns instead, as everyone is already likely to be off on their own most of the time.
We change up GMs on a fairly regular basis. It's not so much that everybody wants alone time as that we like to build characters where Loner tends to fit. Fortunately, it has always settled out in the pre-game and not caused real problems during game. My group are all good enough role-players that we can re-imagine characters as someone who is less of a loner or create a new character as necessary.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
darker and edgier, disadvantage of the week, loner