Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Delvidian

Default Spelljammer Banestorm: Campaign Ideas Sought

I'm reaching the end of a long story arc in my Banestorm campaign and looking for the Next Big Thing for my high-powered characters. How about a Banestorm Spelljammer mashup that takes the characters off Yrth and exploring their solar system? Consider:

Gabrook = Mars
Loren'dil = Venus
Olokun = Neptune

Have you done this? Do you have setting, character or plot ideas to share? What about the other planetary bodies? Thanks!

Last edited by Delvidian; 07-15-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: clarity
Delvidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Astromancer

Default Re: Spelljammer Banestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvidian View Post
I'm reaching the end of a long story arc in my Banestorm campaign and looking for the Next Big Thing for my high-powered characters. How about a Banestorm Spelljammer mashup that takes the characters off Yrth and exploring their solar system? Consider:

Gabrook = Mars
Loren'dil = Venus
Olokun = Neptune

Have you done this? Do you have setting, character or plot ideas to share? What about the other planetary bodies? Thanks!
I like the idea, however, I'd prefer Olokun/Venus and Loren'dil/Counterearth. Counterearth is a mystical planet on the other side of the sun. Since Loren'dil is somehow more isolated from Yrth/Earth than either Gabrook or Olokun, this would fit.

Don't forget to but somekind of Elven nation on the Moon! Let them be the ones to rediscover Spelljamming and introduce it into play.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Delvidian

I love your suggestions, especially the Counterearth idea, which is more fantastical.

And you do hit on a key element to consider, namely the Elven Question. We do have to somehow explain why they live on a silvery body and not a green one. Perhaps what you're seeing on Yrth's moon aren't craters but grand citadels or bubble-cities?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Tyneras

If the moon is tidal-locked like ours, maybe Yrth can only see the "Great Grey Wastes" and cannot see the grand forest on the far side? Maybe some of those craters are really giant open pit mines.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
David Johnston2

I actually did have Yrth's solar system filled with inhabited worlds, but only once the original PCs ascended to pseudo-godhood and made them that way. The redesigned moon was blue and grey because the foliage was grey.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Spelljammer Banestorm: Campaign Ideas Sought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delvidian View Post
How about a Banestorm Spelljammer mashup that takes the characters off Yrth and exploring their solar system?
The only real problem is that parachronic travel and interstellar travel don't really work well together in the same setting. I think I'd go back to the 3e Yrth as another planet rather than an alternate Earth and eliminate the White Star/Infinity elements from the setting.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
Delvidian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The only real problem is that parachronic travel and interstellar travel don't really work well together in the same setting. I think I'd go back to the 3e Yrth as another planet rather than an alternate Earth and eliminate the White Star/Infinity elements from the setting.
Yes, agree. My first instinct was to take them into the greater Infinite Worlds multiverse via magical gates but the PCs are such iconic fantasy types that putting them into arcane space makes more sense.

Tyneras, I like your Grey Wastes of the Moon idea. I'm thinking of turning it into another case of Elven anti-Orc magic gone awry.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Kromey

Quote:
Why not? Parallel "worlds" simply become parallel "universes", and e.g. a conveyor leaving Homeline's Mars would land on [target parallel here]'s Mars (or Gabrook, or [insert name here]), since it's already established that conveyors do not move through space when jumping worlds.

I really don't see any conflict between parachronic travel and interplanetary or even interstellar travel, it just opens up a lot more options for the parachronic traveler capable of either or both of these additional means of travel.

That said, though, it would be extremely difficult for a conveyor to line itself up on its appropriate retrieval point to get pulled back by a projector in the middle of otherwise empty space, even given extremely accurate astronomical triangulation, since relative velocity of the conveyor and the projector would (at least presumably) have to be 0. Unless there's more lee-way in the projectors "locking on" and retrieving conveyors than seems to be implied in the book.
Kromey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromey View Post
Why not?
There's actually some discussion of this in Infinite Worlds. Essentially, though, both forms of travel serve the same purpose narratively, having them both at the same time is overly complex and extremely redundant.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
There's actually some discussion of this in Infinite Worlds. Essentially, though, both forms of travel serve the same purpose narratively, having them both at the same time is overly complex and extremely redundant.
Though you can get a certain amount of joy in limited contact with parallel universes in a space campaign. Mirror universes and the like. Similarly there are several IW worlds where they have solar system travel.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm