Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
Stormcrow

Default [Ultra-Tech] Software Tools

The section "Software Tools" on page 25 of GURPS Ultra-Tech lists the Complexity of programs needed as "equipment" for IQ-based technological skills at TL9+. Good- and Fine-quality programs list their bonus and Complexity per skill difficulty. Basic-quality programs, however, do not give a Complexity. They talk about being built into dedicated devices, but not programs on a general computer.

So are all programs on general computers for IQ-based technological skills at least good quality? Or can you get a basic program for a skill on a general-purpose computer?

Suppose I've got Architecture/TL10 skill and I want to design a TL10 building. I need a computer with a program that works with Architecture skill. Can I get a basic program for that? How much does it cost? What is its Complexity? I know I can get a good-quality program, Complexity 5, for $100. But what about a basic program?
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Software Tools

Given that +1 to +2 bonus is two complexity steps up, it seems reasonable to assume that +1 to +0 bonus would be two complexity steps down: C2 for Easy skills, C3 for everything else.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Given that +1 to +2 bonus is two complexity steps up, it seems reasonable to assume that +1 to +0 bonus would be two complexity steps down: C2 for Easy skills, C3 for everything else.
That's not unreasonable at all. Extrapolating the cost table, at TL8 you can get a program letting you perform a hard skill on the computer for $300 (gurps bucks), and that doesn't feel that far off. The price can be modified for tasks that are very common (writing).

Of course, in the modern world at least, most specialized computer software has an open-source version that is essentially free. Its not going to be high quality, and it obviously doesn't have complexity 0, but its worth bringing up if price is important.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Of course, in the modern world at least, most specialized computer software has an open-source version that is essentially free. Its not going to be high quality, and it obviously doesn't have complexity 0, but its worth bringing up if price is important.
Yes, well, I find the standardised software costs (and the assumption that commercial software is always the first resort) very much stuck in the 1980s, and I don't think I've ever run or played in a game in which people had to care about the cost of software. But if one's going to use them at all, I think this is a decent extrapolation.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
Stormcrow

I'm not terribly worried about cost. I'm more interested in whether software tools are supposed to cover basic equipment requirements in the first place, and whether this information was inadvertently left out of the book, or whether I'm misinterpreting something.

I mean, sure, I can extrapolate basic-quality programs' Complexity and price, but was that the authors' intention? Are basic programs only intended for dedicated devices?
Old 11-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Are basic programs only intended for dedicated devices?
I think the way it's supposed to be interpreted is that the programs were described for skills that use tools besides computers (for example, Machinist, Pharmacy, Chemistry), and you can optionally buy better software and run it on a separate computer to have better equipment. For skills that are done on computers, they (accidentally?) left the program price undefined.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
For skills that are done on computers, they (accidentally?) left the program price undefined.
I think you could read it as "comes with the computer." Certainly, most consumer computers come with basic word-processing, spreadsheet, etc. today, if you aren't someone who takes an interest in what software you use.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I think you could read it as "comes with the computer." Certainly, most consumer computers come with basic word-processing, spreadsheet, etc. today, if you aren't someone who takes an interest in what software you use.
I remain unconvinced. You're not going to have, say, a basic-quality program for Architecture/TL10 come with the average TL10 consumer computer. You have to go out and buy that program to use your skill, so... how much does the program cost? And will it fit on your computer? Or is there just no such thing as a basic-quality program for a skill that doesn't use a dedicated device to perform it?
Old 11-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I think the way it's supposed to be interpreted is that the programs were described for skills that use tools besides computers (for example, Machinist, Pharmacy, Chemistry),
I was thinking this, but it would have to be mostly for tools not already described in Ultra-Tech. Suppose I'm wearing a biomonitor bracelet (p. 197). It gives a +1 (quality) bonus to the doctor's Diagnosis. So... does that mean there's no basic-quality version of this?

Or supposed I've got a suitcase chemistry lab (p. 67). That's basic-quality equipment. Can I add a good-quality Chemistry/TL10 program to make the lab good-quality with a +1 (quality) bonus? Then what's the point of having a semi-portable chemistry lab, which is already +1 (quality) bonus, but four times as heavy, five times as expensive, and takes bigger power cells?
Old 11-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #10
Gigermann

HT22 has the same section about "Software Tools" but it lists Basic as Complexity 2 or 3
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote