Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-28-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
Lorinan

Default New Official Content?

So are we ever going to get more Official content for DFRPG? I mean, we have the excellent Nordlond setting and books, but those are third party by their own admission (though you need to definitely check them out if you haven't). That said, although I know we can adapt the original GURPS DF documents for DFRPG, but am I the only one in thinking it'd be nice to have those updated for this new generation of the game? Or even a new official setting entirely?
Lorinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:45 PM   #2
Michael Thayne

Default Re: New Official Content?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinan View Post
So are we ever going to get more Official content for DFRPG? I mean, we have the excellent Nordlond setting and books, but those are third party by their own admission (though you need to definitely check them out if you haven't). That said, although I know we can adapt the original GURPS DF documents for DFRPG, but am I the only one in thinking it'd be nice to have those updated for this new generation of the game? Or even a new official setting entirely?
A Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3 Kickstarter is supposed to happen at some point. But it might be awhile—SJGames doesn't like having multiple kickstarters running at once, I think they might even waiting until the Nordlond Bestiary is out.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
Lorinan

i can definitely understand not wanting to oversaturate the market. I just really want some new stuff to expand things even more.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #4
mehrkat

I don't know if you've noticed it before but if you only have the main boxed set.

There are a few that aren't included in the boxed set.
Dungeon Fantasy Magic Items 1* and 2
Dungeon Fantasy Traps*
Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2

There was also an extra adventure related to the ratmen
It might be the Against the Ratmen *

* came with the kickstarter as an extra
Old 01-29-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
Lorinan

I actually have every SJGames released piece of content so far. I don’t have all of the Nordlond items though. But yeah, I have all the extras so far. I just want to see more releases. And we still don’t have any new adventures one things beyond the rat men.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:55 PM   #6
tbone

The comments so far don't make mention of Companion 2, a book I really like. Though I imagine everyone here is well aware of it (or can infer its existence from the mention of Companion 3.)

Speaking of that 3, there's a thread here speculating on its content. Which has become somewhat known, thanks to sneak preview images. Some commenters express disappointment over what looks like items recycled from Pyramid. If the content does pretty much reprint old items, maybe it'll be a book I can pass on. But even then, I have no complaint with SJG "recycling" Pyramid or DF releases in new DFRPG products, for players who don't own the original stuff.

(I expect all-new stuff will eventually come down the pipeline. And who knows, maybe "recycled" stuff will be updated and expanded in ways that make it new again.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:04 PM   #7
sparcipx

There's the Dungeon Planner as well, although I suppose it's more a means of creating content than content in itself.
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:39 PM   #8
DarkPumpkin

I'm pretty sure that SJG is overstretched to support their game lines as it is, and that the fan base for DFRPG is just not that big, unfortunately. What Gaming Ballistic has been able to do is fantastic, transforming sheer passion into something somewhat commercially viable and of high quality. So I don't mind if "official" releases are a bit thin on the ground.

The game line will be 5 years old this year, btw. That's an excellent life span already.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
Michael Thayne

I'd note that there's a lot of content out there for GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. I once did a thread on converting GURPS Dungeon Fantasy to DFRPG, and actually found it surprisingly easy for the most part—largely just little things that could easily be overlooked, but are easy to deal with when you know where they are. Unfortunately, I never got around to finishing my project of creating wizardly spell charts for DFRPG. Maybe when I'm done with the Nordlond Bestiary playtest.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:40 AM   #10
restlessgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinan View Post
Agreed. It would be nice to have DFRPG be 100% compatible with Dungeon Fantasy!

I'd also like a standard setting, but nothing too weird. I want something like a standard DFRPG setting like D&Ds Forgotten Realms. I don't want anything where the world is flat, or is a post-apocalyptic setting. Just give us a fairly standard semi- generic medieval based setting where all the DFRPG races and templates work well and can just drop in and use the setting as is!
restlessgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote