Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
JackShadow

Default [I Smell a Rat Minor Spoiler]Extra Attacks

Minor Spoiler for "I Smell a Rat".

I was prepping for the Peshkali encounter in " I Smell a Rat" and had a question about Extra Arms and Extra Attack. I've searched the Forums and Google but did not see this explicitly discussed.

If an individual has both Extra Arms and Extra Attacks like the Peshkali does (6 of each) as well as weapons to go along with them, how many if any of the attacks are treated as Off-Hand in reference to the -4 Penalty? Do multi-Arm creatures still only have 1 Main Hand so ALL other attacks are Penalized? Or does the high point cost of Extra Attack (25 points EACH) allow them to attack un-penalized? I tend to think this would be the case but my Google-fu failed me this time.

[Edit]

OK, well I found the clear rules in the GURPS Basic Set (B54). It still seems odd that a multi-Armed creature only has 1 Main Hand.

Last edited by JackShadow; 12-15-2017 at 08:41 AM.
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [I Smell a Rat Minor Spoiler]Extra Attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShadow View Post

If an individual has both Extra Arms and Extra Attacks like the Peshkali does (6 of each) as well as weapons to go along with them, how many if any of the attacks are treated as Off-Hand in reference to the -4 Penalty?
None. Monster descriptions are meant to be quick to use. Since the description of the peshkali says "Weapons (18): Six clubs (3d+3 crushing), scimitars (3d+3 cutting or 2d impaling), or spears (2d+1 impaling). Reach 1.", you can assume that all six have skill 18, do the listed damage, and have reach 1. How the monster manages to accomplish that isn't important; as the "Attacks" paragraph on p. 15 of Monsters notes, "The given skill, damage, reach, etc. already factor in the effects of the being's other stats."

When ordinary PCs buy Extra Attack from a template, that's another story. See the "Limbs" paragraph on p. 49 of Adventurers.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #3
JackShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
None. Monster descriptions are meant to be quick to use. ... you can assume that all six have skill 18, do the listed damage, and have reach 1.
That is very helpful. I did end up finding the related rules elsewhere that explain how you get there, knowing that the Monster Stat Block already counts all of that really helps.

Thanks.
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

To be blunt: Monsters in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game cheat. They have all kinds of implied and hidden benefits to keep their stat blocks from getting too terribly long. The chapter intro on p. 9 of Monsters says it best . . .
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote