Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
They were made at different times for different purposes. My article pre-dated DF15 by 2 years, and I'd started writing it a year or more before that.
Sure, I just think it is weird that people keep citing them for low point games, and not Henchmen.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #22
Taliesin
Banned

Old house rules I'm probably going to add back in:

1. Two-handed weapons used in two hands get to re-roll 1's on damage dice (but you must take the re-roll).

2. Small weapons (dagger, knife, small sword) get to rapid strike at no penalty.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #23
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
2. Small weapons (dagger, knife, small sword) get to rapid strike at no penalty.
Just one additional strike? Irrespective of Weapon Master/Trained by a Master?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #24
Taliesin
Banned

I thought that you could only rapid strike once in a second regardless of any other circumstances.

Last edited by Taliesin; 09-27-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #25
shadedmagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Sure, I just think it is weird that people keep citing them for low point games, and not Henchmen.
I read over Henchmen thinking to do something similar, but the templates didn't jump out at me at the time as being a definite improvement to On the Cheap. I'll go back and look over them again to see if my impression holds.

EDIT: Ah, I remember now. I don't like the standard Henchman templates as substitutions for the professions because to me they are too generic and I would have to merge them with their Delver lenses and balance the changes to get what I want and keep the point total below 150. And since On the Cheap pretty much already does this, it's work I don't have to do.

Last edited by shadedmagus; 09-27-2017 at 10:45 AM.
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
2: Parry Missile Weapons is a technique based on the weapon. So you can train in Parry Missile Weapons with your Katana, but it doesn't help you parry missiles with your Knife.
Oh, I like that one. What's the default penalty?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:55 AM   #27
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Oh, I like that one. What's the default penalty?
Specific Weapon Parry -3. Hard Technique. No Default.
To raise it to match your melee weapon Parry would cost you 4 points.

It never made sense to me to have a Parry Missile Weapons skill. The skill itself doesn't do anything. You'd never roll against the base skill.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #28
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Old house rules I'm probably going to add back in:

1. Two-handed weapons used in two hands get to re-roll 1's on damage dice (but you must take the re-roll).

If I used this, it would just cut the penalty in half, stacking with WM/TbaM.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #29
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Mostly, I think, because on the cheap can be used to seamlessly advance the character into the full template where Henchmen cannot. I personally prefer that to Henchmen for that reason. I still like Henchmen for actual henchmen and hirelings.

Plus, Henchmen is a bit more restrictive in starting point totals due to being written for two different purposes.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:18 PM   #30
dripton

I'm planning to start my first DFRPG game with as few house rules as possible. Just because it's a new game and it makes sense to give the rules as written a fair shot. Also because that's easier for new players if we keep the DFRPG mostly self-contained rather than pulling in too much stuff from GURPS and overwhelming them.

One area I might want to house rule is languages. The adventure I want to run relies on languages beyond Common a bit, and I think it would be good if most PCs started with two languages. The templates as written only allow more languages for Clerics and Wizards. I think I'm going to make the tiny change to say that everyone can buy more languages, and then maybe even hand out extra points that can only be spent on another language. That way the dwarves and elves will all speak their racial language, without having to mess around with the templates too much to find the points for it. And the other races will also get another language, to be fair.

Another area I plan to house rule is character point awards. I want the PCs to return to town at the end of every session, so that if not everyone makes it every time we can easily leave some PCs at home without continuity problems. I play to enforce that by only giving points per delve, not per session. If you insist on staying in the dungeon, fine, but it'll cost you points, so don't. (A cheesy min-maxer might immediately see a loophole: spend the session walking back and forth to the dungeon several times. Said cheeselord would soon learn that the minimum points per delve are zero not one.)

But even for those two small house rules, I'd like to discuss with the players before deciding for sure.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote