Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: GEV overruns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyMacon View Post
I was experimenting with an All-GEV force on Nightfall 7: Turning the Tables, and found an edge case and what appear to be a couple of minor bugs.

First the edge case: I had 12 GEVS in a position to overrun an undamaged Mark 1 Ogre. (plus I had 4 disabled GEVs). The screen said I can add 8 reinforcement GEVS. Why 8? 8 is larger than the stacking limit (5) but smaller than the available GEVs (12). Its as if the program assumes that no more than 8 units will overrun at once.

So I overran with all 9 GEVs, lost one GEV to the overrun and another to the main battery, leaving me 7 GEVs against one Mark 1 Ogre My first round of 7 GEV shots took out the main battery and then I had a total of 14 (2 rounds) against the treads with the Ogre unable to fight back. (I skipped the ramming phase). That's 21 GEV shots against an Ogre that cannot fight back.

This left me with 6 unable to move GEVs and a Mark 1 in the same hex. Their were still 6 in the hex after the enemy move, Looks like a bug, allowing the stacking limit to be exceeded. Also, the program fails to say your zoom level before the overrun and restore it afterward.

In the next move I overran the same Mark 1 (now with no main battery) with a GEV and 8 reinforcing GEVs. That left me with 7 GEVs in the overrun (shouldn't that have been 8?)
The first point: maximum allowable: are you sure it was 8? The add additional interface can scroll; is it possible you just didn't see the rest of the units? If it does, in fact, limit you to 8, that's an error. You can load up as many as can reach the hex.

The second point: stacking leftovers. The stacking limit is not an absolute. For 6th ed rules, 5 is a recommended guideline (for historical reasons) that you can't violate during normal play, but when special circumstances create unresolvable situations (like remaining units not being able to move out), the typical solution is to let it stand and you simply resolve it when possible (i.e., when they recover, they have to move out). It's not exactly a bug, but it's not exactly clean, either

The third point: the missing GEV. When you first attack in an overrun, the defense gets to fire first. There's no MB, BUT... after the first fire round, an Ogre gets a free ram. The game probably resolved the ram (and destruction) of one of your GEVs.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The second point: stacking leftovers. The stacking limit is not an absolute. For 6th ed rules, 5 is a recommended guideline (for historical reasons) that you can't violate during normal play, but when special circumstances create unresolvable situations (like remaining units not being able to move out), the typical solution is to let it stand and you simply resolve it when possible (i.e., when they recover, they have to move out). It's not exactly a bug, but it's not exactly clean, either
Per 8.06, the official rule is that at the end of the movement phase you must be in compliance with the stacking limit, to the point of having to delete some of your units if you can't do it otherwise.

Obviously 5.02 notes that stacking limits can be changed or ignored by agreement, but you'd normally agree to that at the start of the game rather than at the point where you've got 15 AU piled up in one hex after an overrun.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Per 8.06, the official rule is that at the end of the movement phase you must be in compliance with the stacking limit, to the point of having to delete some of your units if you can't do it otherwise.

Obviously 5.02 notes that stacking limits can be changed or ignored by agreement, but you'd normally agree to that at the start of the game rather than at the point where you've got 15 AU piled up in one hex after an overrun.
I knew that was in there somewhere, just wasn't finding it. It doesn't help the title of the section is "Movement and stacking before overruns."
Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I knew that was in there somewhere, just wasn't finding it. It doesn't help the title of the section is "Movement and stacking before overruns."
Yeah, I overlooked in on my first pass for the same reason.