Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Want to make sure I understand Wall correctly

Here's how I think it works:

If you have the +30% version of Wall, the wall you create must be a rectangle, composed of 1x3 yard rectangles, with a total number of smaller rectangles equal to the number of yards of radius the attack's Area Effect has.

If you have the +60% version, the wall you create can be any contiguous shape with a total area of no more than 3*2^(Area Effect level) hexes.

Is this correct?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Want to make sure I understand Wall correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
1x3 yard rectangles,
with a total number of smaller rectangles equal to the number of yards of radius the attack's Area Effect has.
*checks B109*
get a three-yard-long by one-yard-wide wall per yard of radius
Your way sounds like a legitimate way of reading it. It certainly makes more sense with assigning "each yard of wall" separate HP if they're referring to a 1x3 yard section. Though it might refer to a 1x1 section?

To build a 2x6 wall would require four of these 1x3 rectangles, requiring radius 4...
  • Though I imagine some might read it as both dimensions scaling with radius, leading some to think it would only require radius 2 AE to build a 2x6 wall.

2 wall examples in subsequent books rule that out though:
  • P147 (Wall of Force) is AE 2 yards, "6 yards long and 1 yard thick"
    S44 (Flame Wall) is also AE 2 yards, "3 yards x 2 yards"

Both of these support your interpretation: it's the number of 1x3 walls you get. Powers and Supers show 2 different ways you could configure using those options.

The one thing I'm curious about is if you need to specify one specific configuration... it kinda seems with how these are fixed that if you design +30% on AE:2yards you need to either ALWAYS make a 6x1 wall or ALWAYS make a 3x2 wall... and never the other.

If you could make EITHER by default, then I would expect the inability to do so (as these powers seem to operate) as being a Nuisance Effect discount.

All the more reason the +60% version is valuable, if indeed you are fixed to just 1 arrangement. I think I might allow someone to swap between 2x3 and 1x6 if they had the "Selectivity" enhancement though. If you can turn the Wall enhancement off, then perhaps you could respecify it when you turned it back on?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
If you have the +30% version of Wall, the wall you create must be a rectangle, composed of 1x3 yard rectangles, with a total number of smaller rectangles equal to the number of yards of radius the attack's Area Effect has.
That's a pretty strict reading. I read the 30% as "fixed shape", decided when the character is created. That could be a long wall, a circle, or even another shape.

Quote:
If you have the +60% version, the wall you create can be any contiguous shape with a total area of no more than 3*2^(Area Effect level) hexes.
That's how I treat it, with the difference being that you can decide the shape each time you use it.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
Plane

Pg 7 of Protection and Warning Spells (Force Wall) says this is "Wall, Shapeable" ...

"allowing the sorcerer to conjure a wall six yards long by four yards high, 12 yards long by two yards high, or any other valid combination"

Same on pg 14 (Utter Wall)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote