Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #31
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Improving through study question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
R
Do you want a Stat 10 Skill+1 first aider cleaning up and bandaging our 2pt cutting wound on your leg, yep no worries.

But fancy having a Stat 10 Skill +1 Surgeon cracking your chest?
A small point but perhaps an important one. First Aid is an Easy Skill so Attribute+1 is only 400 hours (w/teacher, a lot of the timethe teacher gets left out of these conversations) but Surgery is VH so 400 hours only gets you to Attribute -2.

So equal time in Surgery or First Aid gets you 3 notches farther in First Aid.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #32
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
A small point but perhaps an important one. First Aid is an Easy Skill so Attribute+1 is only 400 hours (w/teacher, a lot of the timethe teacher gets left out of these conversations) but Surgery is VH so 400 hours only gets you to Attribute -2.

Good point!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #33
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The 200 hour number becomes most problematic when Characters are allowed to cram high-quality learning experiences into every nook and cranny of their schedule, or when routine activity is perpetually counted as on the job training.

Its also worth noting that a lot of skills we think of as "Hard" have artificial barriers placed around them for reasons of safety and/or prestige. My brother is a tissue harvester, and he's picked up a lot of practical skills you'd normally only see in a surgeon. Surgeons just get a LOT of preparatory training before we ever let them cut someone open. Its probably not the fastest way to learn surgery, but we really don't want rookie mistakes happening during surgery. The tissue harvesting folks have varying levels of education, some having just high school diplomas.

The actual surgeons spent years learning some helpful knowledge and some (for them) useless knowledge proving to society they're the sort of brilliant and responsible people we want cutting us open.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 11-21-2019 at 09:59 AM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #34
AlexanderHowl

I generally give characters the equivalent of 1000 hours of learning per year, which translates to 5 CP/year, though 50% of that must go into job skills and 50% of that must go into life skills like Area Knowledge, Current Affairs, Games, or Hobby Skills (extra CP awarded during sessions can go anywhere). You end up with moderately unfocused characters with a realistic spread of skills. On occasion though, other traits may qualify in place of skills, though that is not a major concern, as I generally limit other applicable traits to one-half of skill allocation (for example, a warrior could justify training DX, but it would take 8 years to get +1 DX). Education can replace time for job skills or life skills.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #35
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Surgeons just get a LOT of preparatory training before we ever let them cut someone open. Its probably not the fastest way to learn surgery, but we really don't want rookie mistakes happening during surgery.
I've been marathoning St. Elsewhere which reminds me of some other stuff.

When they start assisting, they can make basic cuts under supervision with an expert ready to sub in if they screw up.

Plus when they are finally allowed to lead a surgery with complex cuts, their mentor probably acts as their assistant (2nd) in case they screw it up, still.

Then once they're skilled enough, they can start ditching the mentor and pair with guys of equal skill, then do their own mentoring.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #36
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Yep, and that's what the OP was really talking about.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote