Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 10-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
shantke

Default Antipersonnel

Is it just me as I am old distracted and forgetful, but has anyone else noticed that sometimes the game lets you fire all your AP guns and sometimes it tells you all weapons have fired and you could have sworn there were some more left to fire?

I was playing a OGRE Mark V attack scenario last night and had a squad of three inf in one hex and another three squad inf in a different hex. I targeted 3 AP at one squad for a 1:1 and missed, then targeted the other squad with 3 AP for another 1:1 and missed again. Then the message about no more weapons to fire came up and my turn was over. Um.. shouldn't I have 6 more AP to fire????

Next turn, I took out most of the nearby inf with secondaries as there was no more armor units and the lone 3/1 Squad I used my 12 AP to get a 4:1 Attack which destroyer the INF.

So either I am losing my marbles, or there is a glitch.
shantke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
offsides

Default Re: Antipersonnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantke View Post
Is it just me as I am old distracted and forgetful, but has anyone else noticed that sometimes the game lets you fire all your AP guns and sometimes it tells you all weapons have fired and you could have sworn there were some more left to fire?

I was playing a OGRE Mark V attack scenario last night and had a squad of three inf in one hex and another three squad inf in a different hex. I targeted 3 AP at one squad for a 1:1 and missed, then targeted the other squad with 3 AP for another 1:1 and missed again. Then the message about no more weapons to fire came up and my turn was over. Um.. shouldn't I have 6 more AP to fire????

Next turn, I took out most of the nearby inf with secondaries as there was no more armor units and the lone 3/1 Squad I used my 12 AP to get a 4:1 Attack which destroyer the INF.

So either I am losing my marbles, or there is a glitch.
I can't remember if it was a rules change in ODE, or just a clarification, but an Ogre can only target any given grouping of INF once per turn/fire round with its AP weapons. So in your case, you fired at both available targets and had leftover AP with no valid targets. This prevents the AP from "munchkining" the INF down to nothing with D results.

There probably should be some sort of text indicating that AP can only fire on any given grouping of INF once per turn/fire round, just to avoid confusion like yours.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Mack_JB

Ditto-ing the above -- you can fire all your AP per turn, but each group of INF can only be targeted once per turn.

So in your case with two 3/1 INF to shoot at, you should have shot six AP at each 3/1.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
shantke

You guys are correct, the relevant rule # is 7.05.1, I wonder how long I have been playing it wrong.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

That is actually a rule that is easy to lose track of in a big game, which is one of the things that having the videogame handle is good for.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
dwalend

Quote:
You guys are correct, the relevant rule # is 7.05.1, I wonder how long I have been playing it wrong.
I did that wrong for decades, too. I think GP set me straight during the ODE edits.

Two 1:1 attacks aren't that much better than one 2:1 attack. A secondary battery can be your second 1:1 attack if you need it. Would it change anything about how you play the game, other than combining some AP gun attacks that you wouldn't have before?
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
shantke

I tend to use the secondaries and mains for armor only and the AP for INF.

If there are no armor units in range or if the INF is not in AP range I'll use the Main and secondaries on INF.

The change in tactics with the rules would be I'll have to attack small groups of infantry at higher odds rather than leave AP guns not fired.

In my head I always envisioned the OGRE AI as not only being intelligent but also programmed to be frugal, if the goal is to destroy the CP and the OGRE has an opportunity to ram or shoot it, I believe it would choose ram as shells cost money.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
ColBosch

Quote:
In my head I always envisioned the OGRE AI as not only being intelligent but also programmed to be frugal, if the goal is to destroy the CP and the OGRE has an opportunity to ram or shoot it, I believe it would choose ram as shells cost money.
I always thought of it quite the opposite way. The classic "kill the command post" scenario is the ultimate in throwing money at a problem.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Shells costing money only matters if the Ogre makes it back off the board so that the rounds hypothetically preserved in its magazines are recoverable - and if it does that, repairs also cost money, probably a lot more money. Spending a couple extra turns getting your megatank shot up to save one tacnuke...