Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
ParadoxGames

Default How do you play TFT?

Do you play TFT as a tactical game with RPG elements, or as an RPG with tactical elements? I like wargames so when I play it's focused on the combat, with the developing plot more along the lines of "cut scenes" in video games. I was wondering if anyone else plays that way, or do you focus on the RPG aspects?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: How do you play TFT?

90+ % of my play time is spent on sandbox-style roleplaying, but with quite a bit of attention paid to making sure the sandbox is detailed enough that we can go full tactical hex map whenever a fight breaks out. I'd say our most common types of sessions involve ~15 minutes of hex-and-chit sort of action per hour of play.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
Shostak

It depends on the group I'm playing with. Given my druthers, it would be less combat and more personal interaction and problem solving. But sometimes it is pretty fun to focus on tactical combat! TFT supports both very well.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #4
Skarg

We have played several different play styles in TFT (& GURPS), but mapped tactical combat is to me like the foundation of the game, and playing out combats is to me one of the main attractions and fun/interesting things about playing.

Fun combat-only styles:
* Arena situations
* Setting up a combat/action situation and seeing how it plays out.
* Experimental situations

Fun low-RP styles:
* Microquests
* GM'd combat & context "cut scene" interludes & adjustments, with a few between-combat choices available.
* GM'd microquest-like play
* Arena campaigns
* Political / intrigue situation campaigns - You start out with an established conflict and goals in a campaign setting, and mainly just focus on that. (e.g. hostile nobles or wizards or guild factions) Resolve the choices like campaign map movements, use of magic, raising troops, hiring mercenaries, use of supplies, and combats, but are doing little/no roleplaying out interactions.

High-RP is what I've mostly run and played, however. Detailed mapped homebrew campaign worlds with and mostly sandbox play where players can and do mostly develop their own interests and can decide where to go and what to do. But mapped tactical combat is still a main focus of play (and the main conceit that is allowed not to be particularly consistent or logical, is that there tend to be many opportunities for combat).
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Axly Suregrip

I found we seldomly had the time for prolonged role-playing and also I like the tactical level combat too. So, we most played the fighting or RP that was more fight focused. Death Test and DT2 fit this model.

Looking forward to doing more of the RP.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxGames View Post
Do you play TFT as a tactical game with RPG elements, or as an RPG with tactical elements? I like wargames so when I play it's focused on the combat, with the developing plot more along the lines of "cut scenes" in video games. I was wondering if anyone else plays that way, or do you focus on the RPG aspects?
I've done both.

Mostly, tho', I've used it for solo modules.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Theohippip

Location: Downstate or Upstate New York. Depends on your definition.

I'm introducing my 12-year-old twins to TFT. The girl likes sandboxy role-playing wherein she gets to play gnomes (?) and such, while the boy likes straight arena combat. My challenge is to thread the needle and keep them both interested. Oy...
Theohippip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #8
larsdangly

It is a complication (in a good way) that TFT can be played either as a conventional RPG or as a board game, and it can be hard to tell which one you are supposed to be playing at a given time. I like to plan ahead a bit so that it is clear what the evening is about in advance. Most nights are pretty role-play-y, but some nights we just commit to the mega hex map blood fest, and that's fine too. What isn't good is when people think one thing is going to happen and then it turns into another.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
JLV

TFT is a great game for tactical combat, and one of the reasons I like it so much is that it lends itself nicely to that without consuming an entire four-hour gaming session to resolve one simple combat. So, while unlike most RPG games, this one would allow you to play it as a tactical game with RPG elements, I still play it as an RPG game with an incredibly good tactical game built in.

In effect, I play it the same as any other RPG in general terms, but the superior tactical game permits the players a hugely more in-depth tactical experience at substantially less "cost" than most RPGs do, making this one a crowd-pleaser for both types of player.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
malchidael

I got into gaming with Star Fleet Battles, Starfire, and a bunch of microgames (in fact, my mother purchased Treasure of the Silver Dragon for me, thinking it was a stand-alone microgame, and that's how I discovered TFT), so while I love running story-rich campaigns full of player choice and direction, when a tactical situation occurs, I want minis on a grid.

I don't always get to go as tactical as I'd like - it depends on my players (I have just placed a Traveller game on hiatus because of end-of-year workload, and with the player group I had, I only ran tactical combat a few times).

But, I still love the microgame-style games, and I'd love to see sets of tactical scenarios for Melee/Wizard in addition to more traditional RPG adventures.

I'm imagining a tactical campaign similar to Death Test/Death Test 2, but where your "victory condition" from the previous scenario can drive you down a separate branch (that is, you score 1-5 "victory points" in a scenario, your next scenario is "B", but if you score 6+, you go to scenario "C" instead).
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote