Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Hall of Judgment: Another actual play

Hall of Judgment was a successful Kickstarter that produced a - even if I do say so myself - fine, playable, good-looking product. Even so, it's nice when a creator gets feedback, and my ego appreciates stroking as much as the next man. Even better than compliments on the book itself is that most Fremen of compliments: "Your plan worked, Muad'Dib." In short, as Peter Dell'Orto would say: "Did it work in Actual Play?"

So what follows is a bit of an instigated post. Simone De Bellis posted that he was playing Hall of Judgment with his group, and had gone through several sessions worth. I nudged him to write up a play report, and he willingly obliged. So here's a Hall of Judgment actual play report!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Hall of Judgment: Another actual play

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Hall of Judgment was a successful Kickstarter that produced a - even if I do say so myself - fine, playable, good-looking product. Even so, it's nice when a creator gets feedback, and my ego appreciates stroking as much as the next man. Even better than compliments on the book itself is that most Fremen of compliments: "Your plan worked, Muad'Dib." In short, as Peter Dell'Orto would say: "Did it work in Actual Play?"

So what follows is a bit of an instigated post. Simone De Bellis posted that he was playing Hall of Judgment with his group, and had gone through several sessions worth. I nudged him to write up a play report, and he willingly obliged. So here's a Hall of Judgment actual play report!
I enjoyed reading this! Thanks for sharing.

Although I have not yet run the adventure, I did plunder the book today for a monster. I was running my kids through an impromptu dungeon infested with undead, and I wanted a D&D-style ghoul with the paralyzing touch. I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I had seen a DF writeup of one... and, of course, it was in Hall of Judgment.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I enjoyed reading this! Thanks for sharing.

Although I have not yet run the adventure, I did plunder the book today for a monster. I was running my kids through an impromptu dungeon infested with undead, and I wanted a D&D-style ghoul with the paralyzing touch. I was wracking my brain trying to remember where I had seen a DF writeup of one... and, of course, it was in Hall of Judgment.
Happy to be of some assistance.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
DouglasCole

The next session is posted on my blog (and elsewhere).

Hall of Judgment 2 (Simone De Bellis)
Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Oggsmash

I bought the book from the Warehouse. Fully recommend it to anyone looking for some setting materials for DF, or just some great ideas for GURPS.
Oggsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #6
Tom H.

I had wondered if it would be worthwhile in the "Adventures of Nordland" to add more support for pre-existing Dungeon Fantasy or D&D 5e parties to make the crossover into the Viking realm.

Would it be common for players of existing campaigns to just integrate Nordland as a remote, foreign region in the north of their existing world? They are then enticed with a hook and a travel adventure to supplement their campaign with Hall of Judgement.

Would it be useful to provide a rationale for how the divine pantheons relate between the two cultures (even more relevant for a D&D 5e source)? How do you attribute the sources of your magic and supernatural gifts in a setting that introduces a whole new set of Norse powers?

It seemed a bit difficult to me to rationalize how two different pantheons (from the source campaign to Douglas' setting) would co-exist and share power across a simple regional border.

One solution occurred to me. You could assume the existence of only one true remote pantheon. Each culture interprets their own gods as colorful manifestations of the true essences. The true gods may even oblige variations and nuances assigned to them by a people.

In this way, Thor or other Norse gods may find favor with or be relatable to clerics of their counterparts in the initial culture.

The difficulty, of course, is that divine portfolios don't always align so neatly across mythologies.

Last edited by Tom H.; 12-01-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I had wondered if it would be worthwhile in the "Adventures of Nordland" to add more support for pre-existing Dungeon Fantasy or D&D 5e parties to make the crossover into the Viking realm.

Would it be common for players of existing campaigns to just integrate Nordland as a remote, foreign region in the north of their existing world? They are then enticed with a hook and a travel adventure to supplement their campaign with Hall of Judgement.
While most of the pre-gens had a Norse-ish feel (a Norse is a Norse, of course, of course) the adventure is not set up to require it. Arriving in Isfjall by ship, and perhaps having gotten to know each other on the voyage, a non-Nordlond party would be fine. They'd have to deal with cultural unfamiliarity and the "town" part of the adventure would be more interesting. They'd see challenges and mistakes from that, which would give them a chance to explore the culture and town from the "oops, the outsiders just stepped in it again" perspective.

Quote:
Would it be useful to provide a rationale for how the divine pantheons relate between the two cultures (even more relevant for a D&D 5e source)? How do you attribute the sources of your magic and supernatural gifts in a setting that introduces a whole new set of Norse powers?

It seemed a bit difficult to me to rationalize how two different pantheons (from the source campaign to Douglas' setting) would co-exist and share power across a simple regional border.

One solution occurred to me. You could assume the existence of only one true remote pantheon. Each culture interprets their own gods as colorful manifestations of the true essences. The true gods may even oblige variations and nuances assigned to them by a people.

In this way, Thor or other Norse gods may find favor with or be relatable to clerics of their counterparts in the initial culture.

The difficulty, of course, is that divine portfolios don't always align so neatly across mythologies.
The "one set of gods, many ways of viewing them" is explicitly why it's "The God of Law," and whatever appear in the GURPS version, rather than Tyr and named Norse gods. That allows aspects to be the important part, rather than a particular embodiment.

For 5e, well, there are a zillion different versions, and compatibility with WotC IP is . . . not encouraged in a publication. I've got my Dragon Heresy 5e version with its own internal cosmology.

On the other hand, Simone de Bellis over on the GURPS North America Facebook page is posting excerpts from his campaign, and he's clearly pulled apart the adventure and is using the pieces as needed, within his own world.

It's a bit of a hopeless task for me to anticipate all the different potential cosmologies, but some of the other realms in Etera (Morevel, Inthriki, etc) have very different cultural beliefs, so I'll have to work the theological differences there at some point.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
Bruno

It's a bit of a D&D trope to have a ludicrous number of gods, all occupying overlapping niches and distinguished more by their worshiper bases than by their schtick.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's a bit of a D&D trope to have a ludicrous number of gods, all occupying overlapping niches and distinguished more by their worshiper bases than by their schtick.
Yah. But the Etera world is explicitly Asgardian, so I have to walk soft.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Tons of gods and tons of different culture are good for me. I enjoy exotic locations and cultures. The standard Tolkien world is nice but it has been done and recycled many times. I would love to see adventures in the Middle East or Asia and Africa. I don’t mind if the gods are different in different locations and in fact i enjoy it. Maybe the gods are regional and have full power in different locations. GURPS Silk Road would be they type of DF I would enjoy. Traveling to exotic lands in search of treasure and adventure.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote