Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
wesd_dm

Default Ring of Lend Energy (Why use Power Stones?)

To create a ring (or wand, staff, rod etc) of Lend Energy takes a 100 pt enchantment. Adding 1 level of power to the ring is another 500 pts.

Now the mage with the ring can recharge himself in seconds. For a 600 pt item, our mage has himself an inexhaustible source of mana. Throw a 9D fireball, and then duck behind the wall for a few seconds. A small company of battle mages equiped this way could defend any fortress from practically any size force.

Talk about Unlimited Mana.
wesd_dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Ring of Lend Energy (Why use Power Stones?)

I would assume that Lend Energy doesn't work with Power, just like you can't reduce the
casting cost of Lend Energy with high skill.

There's a lot of funkiness that can be done with Lend Energy, but I don't think this is legal.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Southern Cross

I agree.If I was a GURPS GM,I would state that you cannot buy the Power enchantment for an spell where cost is not reduced by high skill.
Kromm,is this correct?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
wesd_dm

As I understand it, the Power enchantment applies to an item as a whole, not to any particular spell on an item. This would mean that any spell on an item could take advantage of the energy savings of the Power enchantment.

I'm not particularly sure about whether Lend Energy "should" be allowed to take advantage of Power, but I can't find rule against it.

Yes, Mighty Kromm, an intercession would be helpful, along with a list of other spells that are incompatible with Power.
wesd_dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
CharlesGriswold

Location: My Fortress of Arrogance somewhere under Richland, Washington, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesd_dm
To create a ring (or wand, staff, rod etc) of Lend Energy takes a 100 pt enchantment. Adding 1 level of power to the ring is another 500 pts.

Now the mage with the ring can recharge himself in seconds. For a 600 pt item, our mage has himself an inexhaustible source of mana. Throw a 9D fireball, and then duck behind the wall for a few seconds. A small company of battle mages equiped this way could defend any fortress from practically any size force.

Talk about Unlimited Mana.
An item of Lend Energy lets the user lend energy to someone else, and Power does not have any effect. Why? Because having it any other way opens it up to disgusting, munchkin-like abuse. :-P
Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
NorthSaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesGriswold
An item of Lend Energy lets the user lend energy to someone else, and Power does not have any effect. Why? Because having it any other way opens it up to disgusting, munchkin-like abuse. :-P
I suppose you could interpret the spell as not costing any energy, but instead the caster is free to deduct any amount of fatigue points, which the other character can then add to himself. Thus the spell never costs energy per se, and thus Power wouldn't help.

Oh, and the spell could never allow you to recycle the fatigue to yourself, that would be completely against the point - Recover Energy is made for that reason. However, two mages giving each other fatigue could be potentials for that abuse, but the above interpretation would get rid of that as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
RelFexive

Umm... Seems simple to me.

Looks like a really neato idea for a way to crack the system = obviously it doesn't work that way.

This is such a clearly obvious abuse that anyone with any sense at all would just say "well, no, sorry, doesn't work that way" and move on.

"My God - you're like a trained ape. Without the training."

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."
RelFexive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
banditangel

Quote:
This is such a clearly obvious abuse
Given what a non-Powered Ring of Lend Energy does to Communal Magic, I'm actually not particularly horrified by this abuse any more. All it really does is given Military-grade communal recovery rates to the, hah, lay-mage :) (And actually, Communal Magic can recharge your *entire* fatigue in *one* round. It's entirely a question of having enough donors to maintain)
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lend energy, power enchantment