Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Kerdied

Default Skills of Military Police and Security Forces

Greetings!

I'm creating a fictional national guard base near a fictional city and I'm trying to guess the skills of a typical National Guard Military Police (Army NG) or Air National Guard Security Force Trooper (Air NG).

In GURPS Special Ops, it lists the minimum skill levels of enlisted who done their Enlisted Basic Trainings (some skills at 8 and some at 10), Officer Training (same as enlisted plus Administration and Leadership at a minimum skill of 12) and Advanced Individual Traning (all relevant skills of the job at a minimum of 10). It also says that a Green Reserve Unit (which I think is a good level for the part-time reservists who forms the bulk of the NG) has all military skills at -3 (-2 for Green, -1 for Reserve).

The point is: which skills would be part of Army MP and and Air Force SF military training? And which levels? Assuming that the ordinary MP or SF Trooper and Officer?

My first guess was, assuming ST 10, DX 10, IQ 10 and HT 10:

Air Force Security Forces
Enlisted Basic Training:
Electronics Operation (Communications) 8, First Aid 8, Guns (Rifle) 8, Professional Skill: (Aviator) 8 and Savoir-Faire (Military) 8.

Officer Training
Same as Enlisted plus Administration 12 and Leadership 12

Security Forces Training
Brawling 10, Driving (Automobile) 10, Guns (Light Machine Gun) 10, Guns (Grenade Launcher) 10, Guns (Pistol) 10, Guns (Shotgun) 10, Law (Military) 10, Shield (Shield) 10, Shortsword 10, Throwing 10, and Writting 10. Raises Guns (Rifle) to 10.

Army Military Police
Enlisted Basic Training:
Brawling 8, Electronics Operations (Communications) 8, First Aid 8, Guns (Light Anti Armor Weapon) 8, Guns (Light Machine Guns) 10, Guns (Rifle) 10, NBC Suit 8, Savoir-Faire (Military) 10, Soldier 10, Spear 8 and Throwing 8

Officer Training
Same as Enlisted plus Administration 12 and Leadership 12

Military Police Training
Driving (Automobile) 10, Guns (Pistol) 10, Guns (Grenade Launcher) 10, Guns (Shotgun) 10, Law (Military) 10, Shield (Shield) 10, Shortsword 10 and Writting 10. Raises Brawling and Throwing to 10.

In both, apply a -3 to all skills because of Green Experience (-2) and Reserve Training (-1).

Any suggestions?
Kerdied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Skills of Military Police and Security Forces

You realise that Green (-2) and Reserve (-1) applied to skills just out of Enlisted Basic Training represents someone with zero points in most military skills and maybe one Dabbler Perk for his most vital ones (Soldier, Savoir-Faire (Military), etc.)? Such a character has spent maybe 1 character point on his military skills, in total.

I wouldn't be so stingy with skill levels unless the character literally had only a couple of weekends of military training and experience combined. If he actually finished boot camp of 8+ weeks, he'll have more than a single Dabbler Perk dedicated to military skills. Even very indifferent and laissez-faire training would probably give him at least a point in Soldier and maybe several Dabbler Perks, assuming there is elementary discipline and instructors who actually have any military skills at the boot camp.

Green (-2) and Reserve (-1) modifiers probably should be applied to the 12+ skill levels that distinguish average full-time professional soldiers, not the bare minimum skill levels that everyone develops in boot camp.

The expectation is that the few weeks of training in boot camp are just the beginning of a military career and over the next few years of more training, experience and learning-on-the-job, the new recruit will become a useful member of his unit and come to have professional levels of skill in his particular speciality.

In essence, people just out of boot camp are already Green by definition and therefore don't need the modifier applied again to their limited skill levels. Doing that is penalising them twice, i.e. giving them beginning skill levels and then further reducing them for lack of experience.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Kerdied

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll take the fact that the "fresh from training" is already a Green trooper into account before considering applying the modifiers.

Do you think that the skills I chosed are the bare minimum that a fresh from MP/SF training would have? And what levels do you belive the "average" (not the rookie) soldier or airman have in related skills? 10 to 13?
Kerdied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerdied View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll take the fact that the "fresh from training" is already a Green trooper into account before considering applying the modifiers.

Do you think that the skills I chosed are the bare minimum that a fresh from MP/SF training would have? And what levels do you belive the "average" (not the rookie) soldier or airman have in related skills? 10 to 13?
Average serving professional soldiers in a country where that is regarded as a career, not just a short period as a conscript, will ideally have skill 12 in Soldier (average airmen skill 12 in Airman, etc.) and skill 8-12 in secondary to tertiary skills, with most of them around 10-11. If career professionals don't manage professional level in their primary skill, there's probably something wrong with the military they are serving in.

Dedicated, smart or long-serving members of any branch of the military are not unlikely to be skill 13, distinguishing them from their ordinary skill 12 peers and the subpar skill 10-11 rookies or screwballs. Skill 14+ are experts, probably senior enlisted people, who may teach training courses on whatever they have skill 14+ at.

Tags
national guard, special ops