Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 12-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
seaweedbrain

Default White Wolf is out of the game

Looks like white wolf has had a bad year and so they are going to be closing down World of darkness.com This was sent out to subscribers of White Wolf's online book reader service. White Wolf will be folded into their parent company Paradox. Additionally, they are also looking for a brand manager
Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: White Wolf is out of the game

And I was just hoping for a rebirth of the WoD/WW in the form we knew it during the golden age thereof.

Also ironic that WW, which gained much of its street cred from writing stuff considered outrageous at the time, has also been brought down by outrage when the tables have turned.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
The Colonel

Paradox? As in the computer strategy game people?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Paradox? As in the computer strategy game people?
Yeah, that would be them. I believe they bought WW from CCP (Eve Online), who bought WW in 2005ish.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Ezra

I'd just gotten back into playing WoD games, but their adversity and fragmentation sent me exploring and I ended up here. A friend had given me a slew of GURPS books some years back, I'd never used, so maybe now's the time to give them a whirl.
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:41 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
I'd just gotten back into playing WoD games, but their adversity and fragmentation sent me exploring and I ended up here. A friend had given me a slew of GURPS books some years back, I'd never used, so maybe now's the time to give them a whirl.
By fragmentation you mean the splitting produced by the Chronicles of Darkness? What do you refer to as adversity in this context?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
Ezra

Yes, the cognitive dissonance of there being two simultaneous versions of the game, published by both and the same companies followed by the fact that we now have a V5 that is complicated by this controversy fiasco, etc. Some people have already gotten the Camarilla and Anarch books, which are now no longer available ... it's a lot of complication for a hobby that already occupies a small niche of a niche industry.
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
sjard
Stick in the Mud

This will probably complicate matters as well, but it looks like Modiphius has acquired the rights to publish Vampire: The Masquerade at the least.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
rosignol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
Yes, the cognitive dissonance of there being two simultaneous versions of the game, published by both and the same companies followed by the fact that we now have a V5 that is complicated by this controversy fiasco, etc. Some people have already gotten the Camarilla and Anarch books, which are now no longer available ... it's a lot of complication for a hobby that already occupies a small niche of a niche industry.

Um... what?

Obviously, I haven't been keeping up. What is going on?

Is Paradox healthy? I'd miss Stellaris.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
Gardensnake

I don't think White Wolf is out so much as they are regrouping. I think the biggest issue the new White Wolf has is that they are trying too hard. The original White Wolf was controversial but also smart. They presented controversial material in a way that made you think and also put stuff they new would be real controversial under a different label with a Mature Audiences warning. Even then, they were respectful in their controversy. The new White Wolf seems to be hamfistedly messing things up and when they do, they don't seem to know how to respond. I really think part of this is two fold. For starters, they're a Swedish company and I don't really think they understand the sensibilities of the common gamer or game consumer in America. Thus, they do things that they don't even think about as controversial and then are left trying to backpedal when the negative feedback hits. Their other problem I think, is they are trying to be edgy just for the sake of being edgy and are coming across as just being immature. I would really like to see White Wolf succeed and hold no ill will towards them. These are just my observations on their current condition. Hopefully they can find the right brand manager and that person can right the ship as the saying goes.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
white wolf, wod