Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
rkbrown419

Default Modifying Templates

I'm putting together a data file for Pyramid 3/115, the Technomancer issue. The issue includes suggestions for running Monster Hunters and Action games in the setting. However it suggests replacing many Hidden Lore skills with Expert Skills and adds a few motivational lenses for Monster Hunters and ways to Magically Augment templates for Action. Is there a way to do #replacetags or #mergetags for existing templates to change the skills and lenses you pick from or will it require copping the existing Monster Hunter and Action templates and manually making the necessary changes?
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:48 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Modifying Templates

For changes to the available skills in a selection list you would have to replace the entire selection list. Now, one of the places where Hidden Lore primarily shows up is under the Know Thy Enemy skill lists. It's exceptionally easy to add more Know Thy Enemy types to the list under the <KnowThyEnemyTypes>[LIST] heading. It is also easy to add more skills to each Know Thy Enemy type, so you can add the various Expert Skills under each enemy type. You can't remove the Hidden Lore entries from those lists; however, what you can do is #delete the Hidden Lore skills from GCA entirely, so then they can't be found and thus can't show up on those lists.

Simply adding traits to most templates is much easier; as of the last update many lists have the ability to add extra traits by adding those traits to one of the standard GM[LIST] headings I created:
<GMAdvantages>
<GMDisdvantages>
<GMPrimarySkills>
<GMSecondarySkills>
<GMBackgroundSkills>

Adding Motivational Lenses for Monster Hunters is also exceptionally easy. I used List Injections to add all of the motivational lenses for Monster Hunters, so adding another motivational lens is as easy as creating new entries under those lists. You can see how this is done in the Monster Hunters 1 data file, starting with the list <Motivational Lens Names> and going down the next several dozen lists.

EDIT: I spoke slightly ahead of myself here. This feature allowing you to slip in more motivational lenses is not implemented in the currently released data files. It is something I added later, and have fully implemented, meaning it is still something you can take advantage of. I just need to make those files available so you can use them.
[/EDIT]

And, in fact, this last week I began rewriting the Actions 1 data file to use the same basic setup in order to allow it to do the same thing the with Action Background Lenses as Monster Hunters does with the Motivational Lense (and I added a couple new ones Background Lenses from Pyramid 3/53: Extended Action). So the currently available data files don't allow easy addition of Background lenses, but the one I'm working on, and still testing, does.

So the answer is a bit of a mix, but it's not insanely difficult.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-14-2018 at 06:25 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
rkbrown419

Thank you that helps a lot.
Is there a way to add new lenses to an existing template? The issue has three new motivational lenses for monster hunters and I think there are magical variations for every Action template.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Thank you that helps a lot.
Is there a way to add new lenses to an existing template? The issue has three new motivational lenses for monster hunters and I think there are magical variations for every Action template.
Yes and no. In the currently available data files you would have to rewrite every template to add more motivational lenses.

Realizing that might be a problem with future expansions I added the functionality to easily add more background & motivational templates to the selection lists of the other templates.

Since I finished the Monster Hunters file a long while back and as far as I can tell with the Action data files I've been working on this last week are working correctly I'm going to go ahead and post them. You can download them here.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-17-2018 at 02:09 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
rkbrown419

Thanks. When I get to posting the Technomancer file I'll have to put a note telling people to be sure to get these files.