Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #21
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Making Imbuements based on Will balanced ([Power-Ups 1: Imbuements], [Powers])

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
In theory, you could divide IQ into Knowledge (Kno), Social (Soc), Will, and Perception (Per), at [5]/level for each. There are more Kno- and Soc-based skills than Will- and Per-based ones, of course, but Will and Per have important uses beyond skill. Of course, when you put them like that, they really seem like overpowered, underpriced Talents - which is sort of what they are, honestly. Outside of magic, those prices probably aren't terribly unbalanced - Soc is comparable in price and utility to Charisma - but once magic comes into play you'd need to tweak stuff so that Kno doesn't become a supertrait.
Well, well, well...that's a VERY interesting idea. Hmmm.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #22
phayman53

Default Re: Making Imbuements based on Will balanced ([Power-Ups 1: Imbuements], [Powers])

The way I count the skills in Basic if we were to create an EI stat is (this was quick and may have errors):

IQ - 118
EI - 23
Per - 12
Will - 13

I mostly put IQ skill that involve social interaction in the EI stat, as well as things like animal handling and (formerly) IQ based art composition skills (which target emotions usually). The IQ stat does not count spells and there many IQ skills that should float to EI if they are being used to influence people. Some EI skills, like merchant, can float back to IQ (for knowing values, etc.).

IQ is still clearly worth 20 points on its own, EI would be a HUGE 15 point talent, and is also really useful for most roleplaying situations, since it is really good for manipulation. EI would be worth at least 15 points (and probably 20, but I do not want to increase the cost of IQ or DX!, which is 15 points). Per and Will are definitely a bargain at 5 points and probably should be raised to 10 (and separated from IQ).
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #23
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
The way I count the skills in Basic if we were to create an EI stat is (this was quick and may have errors):

IQ - 118
EI - 23
Per - 12
Will - 13

I mostly put IQ skill that involve social interaction in the EI stat, as well as things like animal handling and (formerly) IQ based art composition skills (which target emotions usually). The IQ stat does not count spells and there many IQ skills that should float to EI if they are being used to influence people. Some EI skills, like merchant, can float back to IQ (for knowing values, etc.).

IQ is still clearly worth 20 points on its own, EI would be a HUGE 15 point talent, and is also really useful for most roleplaying situations, since it is really good for manipulation. EI would be worth at least 15 points (and probably 20, but I do not want to increase the cost of IQ or DX!, which is 15 points). Per and Will are definitely a bargain at 5 points and probably should be raised to 10 (and separated from IQ).
What if IQ got Per and EI got Will? Obviously, that's completely null if you're separating out Will and Per, but I think that would be a fitting split if you don't separate them.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancemens, imbuements, powers