Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #301
tmedwards

Default Re: Updated / New Character Sheets

Sure, I could do that.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #302
tmedwards

Announcing Phoenix r63 (requires GCA 4.0.423 or later). [ Download: http://www.motoslave.net/thom/gca/phoenix/ ]

Phoenix r63 highlights:
  • Added a new unarmed auto-detection selection to the extra parry box option in the Defenses Options section. The unarmed auto-detect mode works like the standard version, but checks only DX and unarmed skills.
And, since it was released only this morning, here again are the Phoenix r62 highlights:
  • Added a new auto-detection selection to the extra parry box option in the Defenses Options section. The auto-detect mode will attempt to select the trait with the highest parry score; stipulations are: the trait cannot be the same as the primary parry (as selected in GCA), traits are tried in order of DX then skills, and the first trait to meet all criteria wins.
  • Added a new option to both the Melee and Ranged Attacks blocks to control highlighting of attack names (default: disabled).
  • Updated the advantage-type blocks trait name highlighting code to work in Bookish mode.
  • Various tweaks and adjustments.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #303
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
[*]Added a new auto-detection selection to the extra parry box option in the Defenses Options section. The auto-detect mode will attempt to select the trait with the highest parry score; stipulations are: the trait cannot be the same as the primary parry (as selected in GCA), traits are tried in order of DX then skills, and the first trait to meet all criteria wins.
Awesome, you did it! :) Thanks.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #304
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Ohh, I like that. I like that a lot. Can I throw in a request to have a slightly modified version of this where it auto-detects the best unarmed parry? That is the highest based on DX, Brawling, Boxing, Karate, Judo, Sumo Wrestling, or Wrestling. Personally, I like to have one of the Parry values be for my unarmed skill and the other be for my primary weapon (which may or may not be the highest skill). If I can set the weapon skill parry in GCA and have Phoenix pick up the highest unarmed parry I might get all giddy inside.
Quote:
Announcing Phoenix r63 (requires GCA 4.0.423 or later). [ Download: http://www.motoslave.net/thom/gca/phoenix/ ]

Phoenix r63 highlights:
  • Added a new unarmed auto-detection selection to the extra parry box option in the Defenses Options section. The unarmed auto-detect mode works like the standard version, but checks only DX and unarmed skills.
And, since it was released only this morning, here again are the Phoenix r62 highlights:
  • Added a new auto-detection selection to the extra parry box option in the Defenses Options section. The auto-detect mode will attempt to select the trait with the highest parry score; stipulations are: the trait cannot be the same as the primary parry (as selected in GCA), traits are tried in order of DX then skills, and the first trait to meet all criteria wins.
  • Added a new option to both the Melee and Ranged Attacks blocks to control highlighting of attack names (default: disabled).
  • Updated the advantage-type blocks trait name highlighting code to work in Bookish mode.
  • Various tweaks and adjustments.
Ok, now maybe I am confused, but what did this change really other than making it ignore weapon parries completely? I tried Auto-Dectect and my character had the following parries...

DX 11
Force Sword 11

Then I gave her the new unarmed option and gave her Karate ALSO she then had

DX 11
Karate 11

Now, seems to me it would be better to see this...

Karate 11
Force Sword 11

Since... when would anyone with Karate just use straight DX to parry?

So, maybe make the first box use your best unarmed parry, then the 2nd your best weapon-based parry, if you have one?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 06-07-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #305
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Ok, now maybe I am confused, but what did this change really other than making it ignore weapon parries completely?
Nothing. That's exactly what it does. The unarmed auto-detection mode does the exact same thing as the standard auto-detection mode, except that it's limited to choosing only from between DX and any unarmed skills.

That is, unless I drastically misread his post, exactly what Eric requested.

Quote:
Now, seems to me it would be better to see this...

Karate 11
Force Sword 11

Since... when would anyone with Karate just use straight DX to parry?
So, set the primary parry box to Karate in GCA's Protection window. Or, set it to Force Sword, and use the unarmed auto-detection mode for the extra parry box.

Quote:
So, maybe make the first box use your best unarmed parry, then the 2nd your best weapon-based parry, if you have one?
The first/primary parry box (left-to-right) is GCA's parry box, which you control via GCA's Protection window. The second/extra parry box (again, LTR) is Phoenix's parry box. This has, virtually, always been the case. The two auto-detection modes are for Phoenix's extra parry box only. I have no plans, at this time, to override GCA's parry box.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #306
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Nothing. That's exactly what it does. The unarmed auto-detection mode does the exact same thing as the standard auto-detection mode, except that it's limited to choosing only from between DX and any unarmed skills.

Nope, you got it right. It's doing exactly what I want, thanks!

Quote:
The first/primary parry box (left-to-right) is GCA's parry box, which you control via GCA's Protection window. The second/extra parry box (again, LTR) is Phoenix's parry box. This has, virtually, always been the case. The two auto-detection modes are for Phoenix's extra parry box only. I have no plans, at this time, to override GCA's parry box.
If you did it would have to be an option, not something that Phoenix does as standard. Actually, I might not mind having a third Parry box, and there's probably just about enough room to squish an extra box in there, but that's far from necessary as Parry can be printed in the skills section and the weapons table anyway. The defense box is just for quick reference. I do like the auto-detection, though, because it means that most of the time I shouldn't have to go into Phoenix's options to change it for a specific character then remember to change it back for general use.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #307
tmedwards

Quote:
If you did it would have to be an option, not something that Phoenix does as standard.
I considered that, but eventually decided that it was probably better for people to use GCA's Protection window to set their primary parry, as was likely intended. Phoenix's box is just a little extra lagniappe and I'd rather push people to the Protection window, rather than keep them away. That said, I'm not dead set against providing such an option, I just don't think it's necessary.

Quote:
Actually, I might not mind having a third Parry box, and there's probably just about enough room to squish an extra box in there …
Unfortunately, having to support traits like "Parry Missile Weapons" and "Two-Handed Axe/Mace" at font sizes of at least 10pt, not to mention whatever is in the other boxes, means that there's less room to play with than it might first seem. Still, looking at it, I just might be able to, optionally, jam another box in there. And, even if I couldn't squeeze in another box in the default layout, I could certainly replace the Other box in either of the extended layouts with a functional box. Hmm.

Quote:
I do like the auto-detection, though, because it means that most of the time I shouldn't have to go into Phoenix's options to change it for a specific character then remember to change it back for general use.
You have Ragabash Moon to thank for that, the original idea/request was theirs. :)

Related to this, I forgot to mention in the release notes that I changed the default for the box from DX to the basic auto-detection mode. Oops.

Last edited by tmedwards; 06-07-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #308
Ragabash Moon

Quote:

So, set the primary parry box to Karate in GCA's Protection window. Or, set it to Force Sword, and use the unarmed auto-detection mode for the extra parry box.

Ahhh!!! Ok, thanks see I never knew about the GCA Protection box governing that first box on Phoenix, hence the confusion... so that works :)

Old 06-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #309
Dammann

Nice! Love this update.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #310
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
And, even if I couldn't squeeze in another box in the default layout, I could certainly replace the Other box in either of the extended layouts with a functional box. Hmm.
That would be nice, yes. I use the extended layout for everything but quickview, so I kind of forgot about it because that's where I see Phoenix 99% of the time.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote