Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2016, 01:24 AM   #1
scc

Default What Exactly Does Gadgeteer Allow You To Do?

OK per Basic Set Gadgeteer allows you to build scientific devices that are ahead of their time or other wise unavailable.

That is to stay RAW says it's for people like Tony Stark, yet it seems to pop up on templates that are more like Macgyver
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
corwyn

Default Re: What Exactly Does Gadgeteer Allow You To Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK per Basic Set Gadgeteer allows you to build scientific devices that are ahead of their time or other wise unavailable.

That is to stay RAW says it's for people like Tony Stark, yet it seems to pop up on templates that are more like Macgyver
Tony Stark has Gadgeteer (or maybe even just high levels of Engineer and related skills and Gizmos since his "gadgeteering" usually tends to be "I've been working on another suit of armor that might do the trick). Mac has Quick Gadgeteer - concept in seconds, invention in minutes. He's kinda the poster child for it.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:54 AM   #3
Anthony

Gadgeteering allows you to use the modified Gadgeteering process on B475 instead of the New Inventions process on B473. This allows you to invent things more than one TL above your own (though at -5 per TL difference), and reduces the difficulty of the Concept and Prototype rolls. MacGyver has quick gadgeteering as per B476, which allows you to make prototypes faster and cheaper.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:59 AM   #4
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Tony Stark has Gadgeteer (or maybe even just high levels of Engineer and related skills and Gizmos since his "gadgeteering" usually tends to be "I've been working on another suit of armor that might do the trick). Mac has Quick Gadgeteer - concept in seconds, invention in minutes. He's kinda the poster child for it.
I think building a suit in a cave, inventing a miniaturised arc reactor that other scientists can't duplicate, and synthesising a new element suggest Tony Stark has Gadgeteer.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Gadgeteering allows you to use the modified Gadgeteering process on B475 instead of the New Inventions process on B473. This allows you to invent things more than one TL above your own (though at -5 per TL difference), and reduces the difficulty of the Concept and Prototype rolls. MacGyver has quick gadgeteering as per B476, which allows you to make prototypes faster and cheaper.
This is the answer to your question.
To sum it up Gadgeteer lets you invent stuff easier, faster and cheaper and Quick Gadgeteer makes it even faster.

Alsp its not limited to scientific devices.
Anything that uses Invention rules can apply, including Programming, Spells or magical rituals, screenplays, music, etc.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Bruno

Angus Macgyver has Quick Gadgeteer with a limitation of "no TL-pushing inventions". He makes things that are sensible TL 7-ish ideas out of not-quite-sensible components. He certainly doesn't have the High TL advantage, whereas Tony Stark probably does.

Mac definitely has a great Scrounging skill to go with it, and Stark probably does not - instead his captors had Scrounging and Tony has enough Fast Talk to keep them bringing him what he needed.

Mac is using and abusing the Gadgeteering rules from After The End, I would say, except with normal TL rules. that book puts a lot of emphasis on cobbling together things out of junk you find lying around that then work like a "normal" piece of equipment.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
thrash

Gadgeteering can also be substituted for the Futuristic and Alien Devices rules on B478-479.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
Anthony

Huh. I never looked at what the Weird Science skill did before. That... doesn't do what I'd have expected. It doesn't actually let you invent things that can't be invented normally, it just gives you bonuses for making a device with bugs.

Tags
gadgeteer