Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Ajaywojo

Default Rick and Morty Munckin Items

Here’s a question I haven’t seen answered yet. In Rick and Morty Munchkin, can items with special bonuses be used on any combat, not just your own? For example, the Portal Gun can be discard to turn any one monster onto a level one snake worth 1 treasure, 1 level and no bad stuff, but can’t be used to gain the winning level. Can you use the card to stop someone from reaching level 10 by switching out the monster in their combat? The rules say you can use one shot items, but doesn’t specify about items with special rules, like this one.
Ajaywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Rick and Morty Munckin Items

A special ability of an Item can usually be used only by the wielder, but usually a card with a listed discard ability could be used on someone else's turn as long as the card doesn't say it can only be discarded on your turn or on your combat. I don't have the card in front of me, and I'm not sure where my copy is (convention + Thanksgiving + RPG prep for this weekend and next have left me disoriented) to check the card right now, so as long as you haven't left out any critical verbiage on the card, I'd make the presumption that the card could be played on someone else. However, that "not for the winning level" part has me troubled, because that would indicate you couldn't play it to win the game if you couldn't win the current combat you are fighting. That could be taken to mean that if by killing the Monster the player would get the Winning Level, you could not play it on him. However, if he were fighting (and beating) a Monster that would give him 2 Levels, which he absolutely needed to win the game, then you could absolutely play it on that other player.

See how hard this stuff is to parse? I now have a headache and I've just started looking over questions today.

So, short answer: You probably could play it on another player, assuming it wouldn't let them win the game, but let me find the card or let Andrew give a better answer if he can.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Abeaushan

Default Re: Rick and Morty Munckin Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaywojo View Post
the Portal Gun can be discard to turn any one monster onto a level one snake worth 1 treasure, 1 level and no bad stuff, but can’t be used to gain the winning level. Can you use the card to stop someone from reaching level 10 by switching out the monster in their combat? The rules say you can use one shot items, but doesn’t specify about items with special rules, like this one.
First off to clear any confusion, it is the 'Particle Bean Wristwatch' that has this ability, not the 'Portal Gun'. I would agree with MunchkinMan that if the player in the fight is going for the winning level (let's say at lvl 9 and going for 10) and winning, you could not use this on them to deny the win.
Abeaushan is offline   Reply With Quote