Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #211
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

You'd think a simple situation like "I search the room for hiding goblins, how many hiding goblins do I spot" would be one the rules had instructions for...

Part of the weirdness is you may not really know how many tasks you're doing simultaneously (how many goblins, how many shoes) until you spot them.

Given you have a higher chance of spotting the nearest shoe it just seems to make sense to have you roll for that, and not bother for the 2nd until later, so I don't need to figure out how to penalize multiple free actions per turn or splitting a free action with multiple targets.

Hm... maybe with "aim as attack" logic, "perceive as attack" could be -4 to split 2 targets like a dual weapon attack.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 AM   #212
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
You'd think a simple situation like "I search the room for hiding goblins, how many hiding goblins do I spot" would be one the rules had instructions for...
Yes, I'd think that as well. Sigh.

In the goblin example, as a GM I'd be running a quick contest of per vs stealth, and the number of goblins would apply a penalty to their half of the contest (I don't know what rate I would use until I used it, to be honest). The PC's don't look over the room for 7 goblins, they look over the room for any goblins (or foes, for that matter). The task isn't "Check the room for goblin #4" its "Check the room for foes".

So with multiple shoes out it should be easier to find one at all, but harder to find both. Maybe +1 to the roll but only seeing the other shoe if getting more that X as a margin of success (X is 2-4, I think).

Automatically finding the first shoe everytime feels wrong, but you're right that its easier to spot, and I wouldn't object to finding it 90% of the time.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #213
Plane

I like the idea of a single contest where you're more likely to succeed the more things there are, with MoS deciding how many things you spot. Sounds a lot like how burst fire works. In the case of "not always the first shoe first" when you find out the number of things you spot, you could then maybe do some kind of percentile based on closeness, where the closer and more obvious stuff has a higher likelihood.

Then again, not knowing how to construct such odds, rolling individually in the first place might be easier. Penalties for simultaneous spotting should be fine so long are small and don't make the end result more likely to spot nothing at all.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #214
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I like the idea of a single contest where you're more likely to succeed the more things there are, with MoS deciding how many things you spot. Sounds a lot like how burst fire works. In the case of "not always the first shoe first" when you find out the number of things you spot, you could then maybe do some kind of percentile based on closeness, where the closer and more obvious stuff has a higher likelihood.

Then again, not knowing how to construct such odds, rolling individually in the first place might be easier. Penalties for simultaneous spotting should be fine so long are small and don't make the end result more likely to spot nothing at all.
We could strait up use the rapid fire rules for how many things are spotted, and for the bonus given. Its not as generous as it could be, but its a decent aproximation.

For choosing between the two shoes if the PC only sees one, a quick contest of the two per checks probably gives a reasonable results.

How are you feeling about the +4 for being against a uniform background?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #215
Plane

Yeah sure, roll it :)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #216
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Red moves forward 2 yards, burning 1 AP and spots the shoe!

(I rolled a 7)

Old 07-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #217
Plane

You were 6 yards away from me when you were 8/6 from the shoes, are you 9 and 6/4 now? What's AP at?

I'm basically just ambling at you, alternating between spending 1 AP and then doing something to try and get my AP to max, such as All-Out Defense.

Could probably do a Step-and-Wait too... or "Evaluate Ground" if I really want to punch the ground.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #218
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Red's last action was in post 205.

red has 6/10 AP.

Red is 6 yards from where red turned around. The near shoe should be only two or three yards in front of him*. I'm not sure how far away he is from the far shoe. I think the margin of success is enough to see both shoes, but its your call. Green is 6 yards behind him now.

*Green threw the shoe about 13 yards while red is about 5 yards away, then red turned and moves 6 yards in the general location of the shoe.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #219
Plane

The far shoe is 2 yards beyond the close shoe.
july 1 / post 203 moved you from 10y to 8y from nearest
july 3 / post 205 moved you from 8y to 6y from nearest
july 15/ post 216 would put you 6y to 4y from nearest

although the 2nd shoe was initially 9 yards behind you, you had stepped away from it on the 25th (post 197) increasing distance to 10y, maybe that's why you were thinking 2 or 3?

One thing I just thought of with thrown things... if it was a ball or something, wouldn't it roll? Shoes less so since they would have more friction.

The only way something wouldn't roll would probably be if you threw it perfectly straight up.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #220
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The far shoe is 2 yards beyond the close shoe.
july 1 / post 203 moved you from 10y to 8y from nearest
july 3 / post 205 moved you from 8y to 6y from nearest
july 15/ post 216 would put you 6y to 4y from nearest

although the 2nd shoe was initially 9 yards behind you, you had stepped away from it on the 25th (post 197) increasing distance to 10y, maybe that's why you were thinking 2 or 3?

One thing I just thought of with thrown things... if it was a ball or something, wouldn't it roll? Shoes less so since they would have more friction.

The only way something wouldn't roll would probably be if you threw it perfectly straight up.
Rolling is weird, I agree. That will mostly happen with round objects. I don't know if it adds extra variance to our shoe problem though: I can't see the shoes rolling/bouncing more than 2 yards, and even that is extreme.

What is green doing?