Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 02:32 AM   #201
Refplace

Default Re: The 2020 Digital W23 Speculation and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Does anyone know why the new Dungeon Fantasy book never showed up on the main GURPS page? I stumbled across it while looking for a TFT item.
Are you talking about the Dungeon Fantasy Encounters 2: The Room? I see it there.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 10-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #202
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
I wonder if the Realms Management book will be out this year, I know its in production according to the latest update. Thanks
We know that book is long and persnickety, which suggests at least some need for production time. I suspect the year's final slot or two will be Kromm's unidentified, short Dungeon Fantasy title, and maybe David Pulver's untitled short that's been lingering in production for three months or so.

So I'd peg Realms Management as a 1Q 2021 release... unless it gets stuck behind Kickstarter efforts for GURPS Girl Genius.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:02 AM   #203
Ewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
We know that book is long and persnickety, which suggests at least some need for production time. I suspect the year's final slot or two will be Kromm's unidentified, short Dungeon Fantasy title, and maybe David Pulver's untitled short that's been lingering in production for three months or so.

So I'd peg Realms Management as a 1Q 2021 release... unless it gets stuck behind Kickstarter efforts for GURPS Girl Genius.
Thanks, guess that makes sense.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #204
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Thanks, guess that makes sense.
I have not yet seen a Production PDF so it's likely that next year is closer to the mark than this year. Sorry!

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #205
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I have not yet seen a Production PDF so it's likely that next year is closer to the mark than this year. Sorry!
So what does a "production PDF" actually look like? Is it one with all the text laid out, headers set at proper sizes, tables formatted, etc., but with holes clearly marked "art goes here" or "pull quote needed"?
Old 11-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #206
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

So what does a "production PDF" actually look like? Is it one with all the text laid out, headers set at proper sizes, tables formatted, etc., but with holes clearly marked "art goes here" or "pull quote needed"?
It can look like anything from "a Word file poured hastily into PDF form" to "something very close to the PDF we'll sell." Where it falls on that spectrum depends on scheduling needs, artist speed, how much time and money the project has already sponged up, and 100 other factors. What's always true is that no matter how snazzy and close to final it is, it can always use one more pass just to be sure . . . no editor is so good that there are no errors left the day before release!
Old 11-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #207
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
What's always true is that no matter how pretty and close to final a PDF is, it can always use one more pass just to be sure . . . no editor is so good that there are no errors left the day before release!
There's a saying in software engineering that all software contains at least one bug; no matter how much debugging you do, there's always one you didn't remove. Therefore, any program can be reduced to a single line that doesn't work. I think there's a similar principle present in publishing, where any given work can be reduced to a single misspelled word.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 11-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #208
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
What's always true is that no matter how snazzy and close to final it is, it can always use one more pass just to be sure . . . no editor is so good that there are no errors left the day before release!
Sean taught me that. If you can check it once, check it three times. When I did some editing work for SJGames for mechanical consistency it was like a whole new world opening up for me. Trying to understand what someone means when they right about X may not be what you /read/ when you read about it. I learned a lot from that little foray. I hope my writing has gotten better from it because I feel like it's gotten better from it.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 11-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #209
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Trying to understand what someone means when they right about X may not be what you /read/ when you read about it. I learned a lot from that little foray. I hope my writing has gotten better from it because I feel like it's gotten better from it.
Intentional or accidental?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Old 11-04-2020, 09:34 AM   #210
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Also depends on the company!

I have a thing about not doing art direction until I have a prelim layout. I also don't make use of pull quotes. But I do like to know what my art holes look like before I go get images, and so I try and have it poured into layout as soon as possible.

That's also because I'm not averse to CHANGING the layout as things go, and that's horror and death and pain and wasted time...but that's my time to waste. If I were paying a third party for each layout pass...I'd likely have a different strategy.
Closed Thread