Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-04-2020, 02:09 AM   #1
Crystalline_Entity

Default Jumper memorising new worlds without spending CP

The rules for Jumper (B64) say "However, once you reach a world, you can memorize its “feel” by concentrating and spending character points to “learn” that world as an IQ/Easy skill."

What would the cost of an enhancement to allow you to do this memorisation without spending CP?

I can see arguments for:
  1. +5% - at an additional cost of 5 points, this is like Cosmic Power 1 (Previously-visited worlds only, -50%) [5]
  2. +15% - equal to 3 levels of Reliable, cancelling out the -3 to the roll to return to an unmemorised world
  3. +50% - equivalent to the "adding utility" level of Cosmic, since this avoids you having to spend CP, which might count as "avoiding drawbacks" in PU4 Enhancements p7.

Or is allowing a character to memorise worldlines without spending CP a really bad idea?

Thanks!
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:31 AM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: Jumper memorising new worlds without spending CP

An important question here is how many worlds you expect the character to go to in the campaign. If it's any less than the point cost of the enhancement, then there will never be a reason to buy the enhancement instead of the skills.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:44 AM   #3
Say, it isn't that bad!

As per the rules for training, you could spend 200 hours familiarizing yourself with the world.

Although arguably that's still spending character points. ;)
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:58 AM   #4
Anders

Photographic Memory (Worlds Only, -80%) [2].
Old 04-04-2020, 03:10 AM   #5
namada
Banned

Since a "world" could be 'Elf-land' or 'Hades' or 'multiple-planes-of-existence' like D&D, context is important here, as already suggested, but just for the sake of explicitness...
It's been said. ;)
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:34 AM   #6
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
The rules for Jumper (B64) say "However, once you reach a world, you can memorize its “feel” by concentrating and spending character points to “learn” that world as an IQ/Easy skill."

What would the cost of an enhancement to allow you to do this memorisation without spending CP?
From the same paragraph:
Quote:
You never have to memorize a world, but if you do not, you roll at IQ-3 to attempt to return.
Making memorization basically equivalent to spending 1 point to get Reliable 3 (Powers 109) for a specific world. So if you have that for every world you visit that would simply be equivalent of Reliable 3 (+15%).
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
From the same paragraph:

Making memorization basically equivalent to spending 1 point to get Reliable 3 (Powers 109) for a specific world. So if you have that for every world you visit that would simply be equivalent of Reliable 3 (+15%).
This is a good point. It could also be compensated for by a Talent (World Hopper).
Something I do is make the skill more useful by calling it an Area Knowledge (Planet) skill.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
Crystalline_Entity

Thanks very much everyone, the more I think about it and read your views the more I think I agree Reliable 3 is probably the answer I'm looking for here.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #9
kirbwarrior

I've used +10% inspired by Gyroscopic from Warp. It's effectively a limited Reliable 3, but it also uses the 'having all things in a category is x10' that shows up throughout GURPS.

If you have a relevant Wildcard skill you use for Jumper, then I'd just let it be free and the relevant 'skills' get swallowed into the bang skill.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Daigoro

I'd modify the Reliable with "For Visited Worlds Only," maybe at -20% (total +12%). Maybe tack on "needs IQ roll," "needs minimum time to remember the world" or "needs to analyse the world's jump signature" to memorise such worlds.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 04-05-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote