Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #11
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Does Two Weapons help against Thrown Spells?

This is how I read the rules (and spells mentioned under Defend definitely does not fit the rest of the rules).

DODGE works against:
- missile spells (and no other spells)
- missile weapon attacks
- thrown weapon attacks

DEFEND works against only melee physical attacks from a front hex. These include:
- adjacent melee attack
- pole arm jab
- pike attack
- whip attack
- hammertouch spell punch (this is just an enhanced melee attack)

Thrown spells cannot be dodged or defended. Rules say intervening bodies do not block it, so you are not going to block it with your sword and shield.

I don't see how DEFEND would work against staff occult attack, although before that was a thing we used DEFEND against staffs. Would DODGE help against a two hex ranged staff occult attack?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
I don't see how DEFEND would work against staff occult attack, although before that was a thing we used DEFEND against staffs. Would DODGE help against a two hex ranged staff occult attack?
I agree with everything Axly said. With regaard to the question about occult staff attack, I'd let DODGE and DEFEND benefit against it.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Skarg

I too agree with almost everything Axly wrote, but would note:

* There is no diagram for what front hexes are beyond one-hex, unless you use the whole region that you can do ranged attacks into (which has a map error on one hex in Legacy).

* Hammertouch is cast on the person gaining the spell's effect, which is then used by that person doing physical attacks, which of course then can be Defended against, but the spell itself, like all other spells, can't be physically Defended against.

* Seems to me Legacy rules just kinda didn't think about how occult staff attacks need to be defined as an attack type or else there's no way to know how they interact with other rules such as Defend and Dodge. Seems to me like Dodge should work. And since the occult attacks have so many bonus abilities already, I'd tend to allow Defend to work as well - I don't think they need to be immune to any more rules than they already are.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #14
Chris Rice

No it doesn't.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote