Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2020, 08:28 AM   #51
Anders

Default Re: Cross-time Adventure Seeds

Keep Hitler alive!

Your organization believes that Hitler - at least after 1942-43 - was more of a hindrance than an asset to the Nazis. So your mission is to thwart operation Valkyrie (the assassination attempt on Hitler's life in 1944) - or some other of the numerous attempts on his life - while not revealing your status as parachronic operators.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM   #52
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Your organization believes that Hitler - at least after 1942-43 - was more of a hindrance than an asset to the Nazis.
That idea seems to have been deliberately spread to cover up SIGINT. Specifically, the reading of the Lorentz ciphers, which came in during 1942-43, and seems to account for a lot of the "we understand Hitler's foibles and can exploit them" ideas that floated around. Those ciphers were used for strategic levels of command, rather than the tactical levels where the Enigma was important.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #53
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post

Another possibility is to look for the mysterious eagle Audobon claimed to have discovered and named for George Washington. He painted a distinctive looking bird that couldn't be any other Eagle (and Audobon was an excellent and reliable observer). Hunting through the wilds of early 19th century American for a gigantic Eagle unknown to science should be fun.

Simply trying to find D.B.Cooper in Nixon Era America, could be a blast.
That sounds like a modified cryptid hunt. Though using Homeline/our world famous sightings as focal points would be an interesting methodology.

I guess depending on who's funding the expedition, the event may not even be famous. Perhaps a rich person or close relative swears they saw (insert cryptid here) when a child, and an echo nearing that time is known.
This could also act as a way to keep the expedition small and with few to no renowned experts. The community at large considers it a wild goose chase by a wealthy kook.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #54
Astromancer

Flyndaran's post gives me an idea. What about trying to find an historical relic in a parallel where crytids are real. The English once had their own Bigfoot type creature...the Wodehouse! These show up in Spencer's The Fearie Queen only he calls them satyrs. Have a "satyr" steal the Holy Ampula, the vessel that must contain the blessed oil to anoint a king. The PCs think there tracking down ordinary human outlaws in the woods. Then spring the Bigfoot/Wodehouse card.

Note: The Wodehouses sought to steal the Holy Ampula in order to prolong the current wars (which ever Medieval English wars you like) in order to weaken human society and prevent forest clearance.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #55
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Note: The Wodehouses sought to steal the Holy Ampula in order to prolong the current wars (which ever Medieval English wars you like) in order to weaken human society and prevent forest clearance.
"Weaken human society, old chap? I'm afraid you're leaping to conclusions, what? I just had a small bet with Bertie over how long the war would last, and he noticed that I hadn't ruled out trying to change it! Possibly a bit unsporting of him, but I don't think he can object when I put an end to it on Sunday."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #56
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
"Weaken human society, old chap? I'm afraid you're leaping to conclusions, what? I just had a small bet with Bertie over how long the war would last, and he noticed that I hadn't ruled out trying to change it! Possibly a bit unsporting of him, but I don't think he can object when I put an end to it on Sunday."
Hay, how sophisticated do you think the political thought of the average medieval English Bigfoot equivalent is?

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #57
tshiggins

Quote:
Hay, how sophisticated do you think the political thought of the average medieval English Bigfoot equivalent is?
I think that rather depends on how well read they are, eh wot?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #58
Apollonian

Quote:
Flyndaran's post gives me an idea. What about trying to find an historical relic in a parallel where crytids are real. The English once had their own Bigfoot type creature...the Wodehouse! These show up in Spencer's The Fearie Queen only he calls them satyrs. Have a "satyr" steal the Holy Ampula, the vessel that must contain the blessed oil to anoint a king. The PCs think there tracking down ordinary human outlaws in the woods. Then spring the Bigfoot/Wodehouse card.

That'd make them the Wars of the Woses, wouldn't it?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #59
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
That'd make them the Wars of the Woses, wouldn't it?
Yes, and you are amazing.

Ancora Imparo
Old 03-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #60
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I think that rather depends on how well read they are, eh wot?
Valid point. But all literary evidence is for illiteracy. But then they may just be sneaky and playing dumb.

Ancora Imparo

Tags
infinite worlds, infinity