Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2016, 01:52 AM   #31
PK

Default Re: GURPS After the End 1: Wastelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Although, talking about new mechanics - what about traits for characters who are more (or less) resistant to LTF, disproportionate to their FP total?

I suppose you could just take all the survival traits that are in the system now, but "doesn't starve", or "doesn't sleep" is a lot different from "Can starve like anyone else and looks really ragged after four days without sleep, but bounces back once he gets a square meal and a nap". Useful for super-mutants :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If you really want to get picky with short and long term fatigue, there's always The Last Gasp (Pyr #3/44). Ditch action points, drag out more severe penalties for suffering long-term fatigue, and you're good to go.

The rules for losing fatigue for missed meals, sleep, and water just got a lot more serious.
Yeah, good point, Doug. In my opinion, the appeal of LFP is that it's simple. "You're run-down, so now you're not functioning at your peak." So if you no longer need that simplicity -- if you're running a game where different PCs have different thresholds for getting tired, hungry, etc. -- you may actually be better off using a system with more complexity, like the long-term FP rules from "The Last Gasp."

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #32
Celti

Like Mailanka, I'm reserving final judgement until Book 2 is out.

Like Dungeon Fantasy 1 and Action 1, this book is geared to groups that do less fiddling with their characters, have difficulty covering all the bases, or keep stepping on each others toes during character creation and advancement — which is great when you're trying to convert people over from That Other Game, I'll admit.

The wealth rules bother me for some reason I can't define and I'll need to consider them longer.

Things from this book that I do like: RP and LFP, wholeheartedly. RP simplify the radiation rules in a fantastic way, and LFP get rid of a bunch of bookkeeping for no loss in fun.

Overall, I think book 2 is going to have the real meat of the series, for me.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:05 AM   #33
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Well, as is becoming my standard with works by PK I'm absolutely loving the crunch of the vehicle stuff and templates and disliking all of the attempts to "streamline" crunch out of the game, like RP and LFP and implying that Farming and Sewing are not appropriate skills for adventurers and that all rifles use the same 'generic' rifle ammo.
I've always treated campaign frameworks as two things. First, they are something that allows you to get a campaign up and running right away. Second, they are something you can strip mine for your own campaigns.

Every campaign framework but Action has been controversial because the former use is so fixed. Want a serious, low-key DF game? DF is not for you. Want Supernatural? MH is not for you. Want Little House on the Irradiated Prairie? After the End is not for you.

But that doesn't mean you can't strip mine these for the game that you want, as they often have really good ideas! I suspect one reason that Action is so uncontroversial is, I suspect, that nobody actually runs it straight, and everyone just adapts it or steals from it.

So I never worry too much about a Framework writer having a different perspective than I do. I would note that the intent of works like GURPS Y2K and GURPS Fantasy is exactly to allow the sort of thing you're talking about: Different campaign perspectives. But GURPSers are voting with their wallets and choosing Frameworks over Workbooks.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #34
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Well, well, well...isn't that an interesting idea...
Sounds like a Pyramid article . . .
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #35
Anders

I knew it. There is a Ghostdancer quota to be met.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #36
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I knew it. There is a Ghostdancer quota to be met.
He writes for bullets, which he can trade for food.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #37
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
He writes for bullets, which he can trade for food.
...Which sustains him while he writes, it works well
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #38
Anders

How come you didn't release 1 & 2 at the same time?
Old 03-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #39
Bruno

Quote:
I don't think SJG has released 2 new GURPS PDFs on the same day, ever (exception of the Basic Set). I'm not sure they have the human resources to do that, unless they want to skip releasing anything and making us all wait until the second one is done.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #40
Tomsdad

Quote:
Treat us mean, keep us keen!

Or more seriously it keeps with the current GURPS release schedule so probably fits in better with the behind the scenes mechanisms of getting these releases out. It might not be at the exact same point in the process anyway.

But maybe if it is ready to go next week which would normally be a "no release week" (never liked them) we'll have it then.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-04-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
after the end