Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 PM   #21
Jaware

Default Re: Looking for advice on how to create a costs x energy limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I'm trying to understand if the ability retains the same power even though the FP put into it changes. So each progression is the *same* typical, 10-FP person. So the first time the use the "fireball" (for example purposes), it costs them 5-FP. The second time 3-FP, the third time 2-FP, and the fourth time 1-FP.

Does the fireball retain the same damage, so each use is, say, 5d burning? Or does it step down based on the amount of FP used to cast it? So the progression for the first case would be:

5-FP produces 5d fireball.
3-FP produces 5d fireball.
2-FP produces 5d fireball.
1-FP produces 5d fireball.

The progression in the second case would be:

5-FP produces 5d fireball.
3-FP produces 3d fireball.
2-FP produces 2d fireball.
1-FP produces 1d fireball.

Does the same ability always produce the exact same effect for differing costs? Or is the effect reduced based on the cost?
Yes. It produces the same effect every time. Just varying costs. Though it's not a spell, it's a power, but yes.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:25 PM   #22
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'm not sure this is worth more than -5% actually. Yes it costs you more than 1 FP for the initial uses, but it lacks what is the central limitation of costs fatigue, you can use this ability *forever* without running out. If you round up, so it always costs at least 1 FP, hm, I think I'd determine how many times you could use it before you ran out of FP and price it the same as a fixed FP cost that would allow you the same number of uses before you ran out.
It always costs at least 1, so you can run out.

And that's the delemia. Because the possible number changes.

Just because the character has X amount of Energy doesn't do anything. Because there's a Energy reserve that moves up and down frequently.

Namely a vitality reserve that fills and drains often. It's a health based caster so it uses Hp to cast instead of FP.

The way I see it logically speaking. More is alway better than less.

So under that line of thinking, assuming my pool is full of say 10HP, if I were playing this character, and I could cast [insert power here] and deal 1d damage and Spend ( a flat 3 HP OR 30% of your available HP) which would I choose?

10HP+10VR cost 3 HP, I'd b able to do that 6 times before I wouldn't be able to cast again and I'd probably die. Numbers being 3,3,3,3,3,3.

10HP+10VR cost 30% HP, I'd be able to do it 7 times before it dropped me to 0 HP, but, the trade off is bigger. The numbers go 6,5,3,2,2,1,1

The limitation part wouldn't be the cost to effect ratio. No matter, the same damage goes down range. It would be the difference in how you would have to play the character. When things shouldn't and should be done. "Should I cast my damage dealer, or should I cast my life stealer to sustain myself....?" Or if the boss hits me for 6 I'm hunting. But thats live able because I'll have 12 hp left. But it'll make my power cheaper. But if I use my power now it will cost 6, then if I get hit by 6, than I'll have 4hp left....

The biggest limitation part isn't the number of times useable, it's the reliably and predictably works the same way every time, to the it requires me to make intelligent and thoughtful plays.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #23
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Yes. It produces the same effect every time. Just varying costs. Though it's not a spell, it's a power, but yes.
Yeah, got that it's a power, not spell, which is why I offered the limitation and Alternative Attack suggestions.

As it is, it might just be best to go with a Trigger (Spend half my HP) limitation -- I think that's the right name...Pricing? For a shot-in-the-dark figure I'd suggest -20%. For a more mathematically produced limitation value, maybe price it as the average of Costs HP for the highest (5 for a 10-HP caster) and lowest (1) values...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Namely a vitality reserve that fills and drains often. It's a health based caster so it uses Hp to cast instead of FP.

So under that line of thinking, assuming my pool is full of say 10HP...
Since it's HP-based, can a caster go negative when casting? Characters can remain functional until -5xHP...That would give a much larger, more dangerous to use, pool...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #24
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Yeah, got that it's a power, not spell, which is why I offered the limitation and Alternative Attack suggestions.

As it is, it might just be best to go with a Trigger (Spend half my HP) limitation -- I think that's the right name...Pricing? For a shot-in-the-dark figure I'd suggest -20%. For a more mathematically produced limitation value, maybe price it as the average of Costs HP for the highest (5 for a 10-HP caster) and lowest (1) values...

Since it's HP-based, can a caster go negative when casting? Characters can remain functional until -5xHP...That would give a much larger, more dangerous to use, pool...
I believe we have found out how to price it earlier. So that's not really the problem right now.

No. They wouldn't be able to cast it at 0 or lower hp.

Mostly because a 10 hp character would cast and it would cost 30 hp for the first usage. Meaning the whole check to see if you die, just cause you did what you were supposed to do.

Tags
costs energy, limitation, limited enhancements, modifiers, reduced fatigue cost