Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Level20

Default CHEAT CARD IN FU

Recently there has been some discrepancy over use of the cheat card. I used it in munchkin fu to play a 2 handed item when I was already carrying one. We looked through the rules and there is no specification on this. Half of my group thinks it can only be used for cards outside of races or classes, the other half thinks that it can be played with any card due to the fact the card states "use with any item that may otherwise be against the rules." Please clear this up for us. I want the official ruling or documentation showing such
Thanks
Level20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Damon Griffin

Default Re: CHEAT CARD IN FU

That reminds me of a question that's come up in our games: whether a Cheat card can overcome more that one problem that exists for a single illegal card.

For example, I already have one hand filled, and a Big item, and I'm human. If I turn up a Big 2-handed item only usable by Dwarves, will a Cheat card overcome all three issues and let me use it?
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
Level20

@damon Griffin: I believe you can because the card specifically states "use with one card that may otherwise be against the rules." I am hoping someone knows the official ruling because I emailed them and they told me to throw it on here
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
bonetm

The Cheat card is coverd here

I'd like to emphasise this part:
Quote:
If you need to apply more than one of the above options for the Item to work (a non-Elf trying to use the Bow With Ribbons with a Cheat! card does not have to have both Hands empty, too), that's fine.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

And since I wrote it and Andrew and I have tweaked it, it's all official.

One important thing I want to refer to and have available in this thread is Andrew's (successful) attempt to get it all down in one sentence:

Quote:
When you are looking over your cards to make sure your "character" is legal, ignore any card with Cheat! attached -- it's like it's not even there.
And should some maroon try to latch on to "it's like it's not even there" and infer that means that you shouldn't get the bonus for an Item with Cheat! on it, feel free to point out that's only for the purposes of checking legality. The Cheat! card would be ultimately pointless if you couldn't get any bonus or special effect the Item would confer to you when it's in use.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Level20

@munchkinman I'm talking like official as in the people who made the game. I wrote an email and they told me to throw it in here

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-19-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
MunchkinMan

I was originally appointed in 2002 or 2003 (it's been so long, I can't honestly remember the date it actually happened; little did I know I'd be at it this long) by the guy who designed the game (Steve Jackson) to give official decisions online (hence my title as Internet Representative, NetRep for short, for Munchkin). Andrew was hired by the same guy to give official answers to questions and to keep Munchkin in print (hence the title of Munchkin Line Editor), but now he designs expansions and core games on his own. Devin works directly for Andrew (his title: Munchkin Hireling). All of us have been tasked to give official answers to questions. We're what you're going to get.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 08-19-2015 at 12:33 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You should read this post (and the whole thread it's in, but start here) and especially the section "Who are you guys, anyway?"

Short form: MunchkinMan, Devin Lewis, and I are all empowered to give official answers to rule questions. Steve Jackson is far too busy to spend a lot of time here dealing with rule questions; that's why he has us. :-)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 hands, cheat