Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #1
PurpleLizard

Default Favorite Card Mechanics

One of the things about Munchkin I really like, are the different and unique card mechanics. One of my favorites from the Original Core pack, is the Enchanted Coin. In newer sets, I've enjoyed the Darling Buds Of May, and Box of Chocolates. Even the Spark mechanics from Girl Genius are pretty fun. Often the only GUAL cards I leave in, are those that have special requirements. I think every cards' unique qualities are part of what makes playing Munchkin so fun (and at times aggravating :D ) So I (1rst,hope this the right place to ask. 2nd) what are some of your favorite card mechanics, new or old?
PurpleLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Abeaushan

Default Re: Favorite Card Mechanics

I will have to look up the 'Enchanted Coin' and 'Darling Buds of May', which expansions are they found in? I agree with you about the GUALs having some kind of extra effect or requirement being more engaging although I still keep them all together.

One of my favourite munchkin thingies was the 'Birthrights' introduced in Conan. They worked well with the 'Classes' and 'Races'. Some other thingies have been house-ruled in my playgroup to be equivalent in our blender games (such as 'Armies' and 'Factions') but mechanically and flavour-wise, 'Birthrights' work really well! Especially since there are only two of them.
Abeaushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:48 AM   #3
PurpleLizard

The Enchanted Coin is from the base set. And the Darling Buds of May are from the Shakespeare Drama Die.....mini...expansion (?), I guess you'd call it. It's the same mechanic as the Box of Chocolates from the Love Shark Baby cards. Any chance mechanic adds just the right amount of chaos. 🤣😂🤣 Like the Spark card from Girl Genius. I love ALL that card can do. So much random chance. I even love you can discard it for an attack bonus. It cab really bring the drama when you're fighting for the win. 🤣😂
Old 03-18-2021, 12:50 AM   #4
PurpleLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeaushan View Post

One of my favourite munchkin thingies was the 'Birthrights' introduced in Conan. They worked well with the 'Classes' and 'Races'. Some other thingies have been house-ruled in my playgroup to be equivalent in our blender games (such as 'Armies' and 'Factions') but mechanically and flavour-wise, 'Birthrights' work really well! Especially since there are only two of them.
Absolutely!! It makes the perks that much more desirable and in weird ways more powerful.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
Abeaushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLizard View Post
the Darling Buds of May are from the Shakespeare Drama Die.....mini...expansion (?), I guess you'd call it.
Ahh I see! It looks like I need to find a copy of Shakespeare Drama Die and Love Shark Baby haha. Thanks for mentioning them!

Also, I found a copy of Enchanted Coin, but it's in Munchkin Legends rather than the core Munchkin set unless you have a different printing than me?? All in all, a very fun card now that I've played with it! Another chaotic one shot from Legends is Chaos Potion (you don't say... haha). I've had that one backfire one too many times!
Abeaushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #6
PurpleLizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeaushan View Post

Also, I found a copy of Enchanted Coin, but it's in Munchkin Legends rather than the core Munchkin set unless you have a different printing than me??
I do not, you are correct. That was on me. 😬
If you're looking for fun mechanics, the Ring of Retribution in Moop's is great one. I like that most the randoms have a way of misfiring. It's makes the gamble to use them even more fun.