Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Suncrush

Default Left Armor on the Tri-Rock from Vehicle Guide 3.

The 6 is obviously a typo. Should it be 25 to match right?
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Left Armor on the Tri-Rock from Vehicle Guide 3.

You are correct Vehicle Guide 3 is a typo.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
LokRobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
You are correct Vehicle Guide 3 is a typo.
hehe

swordtart is referencing the almost universal opinion (‘round these parts) that VG3 a giant collection of NG.

That’s Japanese for Not Good.

I think someone has gone through the exercise of making actual legal designs, let’s say “inspired by” Vehicle Guide 3. And I bet someone with top-notch Research Fu can find and post a link :)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #4
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
The 6 is obviously a typo. Should it be 25 to match right?
No -- the armor description is correct. Cross-checking the math shows this; run it through Combat Garage.

_Tri-Rock_ is part of the "circle-strafer" design ethos which came about when someone noticed the advanced speed targeting modifier rules advantaged cars with side-firing weapons against cars with front-mounted weapons; other examples from _VG3_ are _Salamander_, and _Incinerator Mk.2_.

(However, the price shown is slightly off -- CWCG says $4,998, not $4,990. Also, for some reason, the MMLs *aren't* linked.)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Suncrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
hehe

swordtart is referencing the almost universal opinion (‘round these parts) that VG3 a giant collection of NG.

That’s Japanese for Not Good.

I think someone has gone through the exercise of making actual legal designs, let’s say “inspired by” Vehicle Guide 3. And I bet someone with top-notch Research Fu can find and post a link :)
Yeah, I'm using the Sprocket to teach someone to play tonight, and running it through combat garage, it didn't actually come back D5 legal.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
Suncrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
No -- the armor description is correct. Cross-checking the math shows this; run it through Combat Garage.

_Tri-Rock_ is part of the "circle-strafer" design ethos which came about when someone noticed the advanced speed targeting modifier rules advantaged cars with side-firing weapons against cars with front-mounted weapons; other examples from _VG3_ are _Salamander_, and _Incinerator Mk.2_.

(However, the price shown is slightly off -- CWCG says $4,998, not $4,990. Also, for some reason, the MMLs *aren't* linked.)
Ah, that makes sense.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
Yeah, I'm using the Sprocket to teach someone to play tonight, and running it through combat garage, it didn't actually come back D5 legal.
Sadly, _VG3_ is not a shining moment in CW History -- from outright illegal designs like _Pop-Cart_ or _Binary Star_ (both violations of 1/3-spaces), to "questionable" designs like _Overkill_ (the arguments over whether its side-mount ATGs are legal), to the seemingly-endless parade of typos and incorrect arithmetic.... (I remember for the "DKI Corporate Challenge" event -- the one which eventually got me booted out of NOVA, I might add -- I had to go through a bunch of designs, for both the original event, and the "rematch"; *not* *one* design from _VG3_ was correct.)

79er

Old 10-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Racer

I did a 'Bi-Rock' on Combat Garage : Light Trike with side mounted RL & a rear mounted Medium Rocket based on the Tri-Rock .
Had internal Component Armour & lot more Armour . Two 'linked' MMLs $1,950 , RL $1,350 - a no brainer for a budget design .
I'll post a link when CG is up & running again .
Old 10-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I did a 'Bi-Rock' on Combat Garage : Light Trike with side mounted RL & a rear mounted Medium Rocket based on the Tri-Rock .
Had internal Component Armour & lot more Armour . Two 'linked' MMLs $1,950 , RL $1,350 - a no brainer for a budget design .
[nod] I can't figure out the logic behind the two MMLs not being linked, unless the designer forgot about Extra Magazines.

And at that low a Division, Metal Armor makes sense, not only for the paucity of Metal-removing weapons in that Division's range, but also for the cost-lowering aspect.

79er

Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #10
Racer

A number of VG3s designs were very badly edited as well . LEADA's Phil Radley's Div 30 submission was mutilated when it appeared on page . Can't recall off hand which one it was ( not at home & haven't my notes & books ) - but as many are dire , you can probably take your pick ...