Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Mr Face Man

Default GURPS Starcraft

I've been trying to get one of my friends to give GURPS a chance for a while now, and I think this is the only way he will try before next summer. GURPS Starcraft! One shot adventure, most likely a commando deep-strike squad in Zerg territory to destroy one of the regional Hive mind controllers.

I did play both Starcraft and Broodwar back in the day, but wasn't too big of a fan of the online community. Before I have to delve through my memory bank and attempt to make any of the units or races, has anyone ever done this before? It could make my job a LOT easier.

Any conversions or tips would be useful.
Mr Face Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Razgovory

Default Re: GURPS Starcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Face Man
I've been trying to get one of my friends to give GURPS a chance for a while now, and I think this is the only way he will try before next summer. GURPS Starcraft! One shot adventure, most likely a commando deep-strike squad in Zerg territory to destroy one of the regional Hive mind controllers.

I did play both Starcraft and Broodwar back in the day, but wasn't too big of a fan of the online community. Before I have to delve through my memory bank and attempt to make any of the units or races, has anyone ever done this before? It could make my job a LOT easier.

Any conversions or tips would be useful.
There was a starcraft Alternity game out once. Also the game is heavily influenced by Warhammer 40K. You might look into that.
Razgovory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Heh. I've actually been gearing up for a Starcraft campaign for the past couple of months now. I'll give you Terran and Zerg stuff, since it sounds like you're not doing Protoss, but if you want 'toss details, I can post them too. Terran gear, first (note that there's a few things here that I built based on hints and such from the unreleased Starcraft: Ghost game, and a couple of others I just made up):

Armor:

Marine Battlesuit: As TL 10 Battlesuit (DR 105 on torso, skull, or underside of foot, DR 75 for limbs, face, eyes, neck, groin; gives +1 to Diagnosis rolls when examining wearer; helmet provides Protected Hearing, Protected Vision, Radio, Absolute Direction (Requires Signal), Night Vision 9, Telescopic Vision 2, Hyperspectral Vision, Laser Communciation; suit provides Lifting ST +15, Striking ST +15, Super Jump 2; suit and helmet together provide Doesn't Breath (12 hours), Protected Smell, Sealed, and Vaccum Support). Also provides one level of Enhanced Move (Ground)

Firebat Battlesuit: As Marine Battlesuit, except it provides an extra 30 torso, skull, or underside of foot DR, or 20 limb, face, eye, neck, and groin DR, against damage from fire; however, it only has a half-level of Enhanced Move (Ground). Weight: 200 pounds (this does not count towards encumbrance)

Ghost Battlesuit: As Marine Battlesuit, except it provides DR 60 on torso, skull, or underside of foot, DR 38 for limbs, face, eyes, neck, groin; suit provides Telescopic Vision 4, Lifting ST +5, Striking ST +5, Super Jump 1; Suit weighs 35 pounds (this does not count towards encumbrance)

Medic Armor: As Marine Battlesuit, except it's defense optimized: DR 125 on torso, skull, or underside of foot, DR 90 for limbs, face, eyes, neck, groin; gives +1 to Diagnosis rolls when examining wearer; helmet provides Protected Hearing, Protected Vision, Radio, Absolute Direction (Requires Signal), Night Vision 9, Telescopic Vision 2, Hyperspectral Vision, Laser Communciation; suit provides Lifting ST +10, Striking ST +5, Super Jump 2; suit and helmet together provide Doesn't Breath (12 hours), Protected Smell, Sealed, and Vaccum Support). Also provides one level of Enhanced Move (Ground).
Medic armor comes equiped with a triple-size first-aid kit, 5 doses of standard medical nano, and 2 doses of regenerative medical nano (included in the cost below).
Medic armor also includes a compact nano-fab unit, capable of producing medical nano. The unit can be fed with feedstock found in the environment, but certain essential components are not easily fabricated this way, putting a limit on how much nano the fab unit can generate before being restocked at base. The unit can provide up to $50,000 worth of medical nano and supplies before restocking becomes necessary.
Medic armor also comes equipped with the "Second Chance" system: one dose of standard medical nano and one dose of regenerative medical nano, both designed to be administered if the person in the suit falls unconscious and is below 0 hit points. The suit's Physician skill for administering the nano is 16.
Medic Armor costs $190,000, and weighs 175 pounds (which doesn't count towards encumbrance)

Heavy Assault Unit (HAU) Armor: During the Zerg Wars, the Terrans have learned that their combined-arms strategy has a key weakness: the lack of a small, mobile heavy assault unit. Marines and firebats have insufficient punch to deal with large defense emplacements like photon cannon batteries and sunken colony clusters. However, larger units like seige tanks, and even goliaths, have difficultly manuvering themselves as easily as the marines can. The Terran solution was the Heavy Assult Unit armor and weapon package, nicknamed the "Howlers". They are slightly slower than standard Marines, but have significantly increased armor, and increased lifting strenght. Their suits are designed to work with heavy weapons, such as rocket launchers, heavy machine guns, and the "Warcry" heavy assault cannon (see below).
Stats are as a Marine Battlesuit, except with DR 125 on torso, skull, or underside of foot, DR 90 for limbs, face, eyes, neck, groin; all DR has Hardening 1. It provides Lifting ST +20. The armor also provides half a level of Enhanced Move (Ground)
The Howler armor also includes the ability to "lock up" briefly once a target has been accquired - when this is active, all weapons are considered braced (+1 to Acc) when a Howler fires them.
Howler Armor costs $110,000, and weighs 200 pounds (which doesn't count towards encumbrance)

Psychic Trooper Armor: These were originally a UED development - the UED makes heavier uses of psychics in direct combat than Confederate forces did. However, the design has percolated through the surviving colonial militias, and the armor is now available in most militaries.
The Pyschic Trooper Armor, nicknamed "Psycho" armor, is the same as the Marine battlesuit, with the following exceptions: DR 115 on torso, skull, or underside of foot, DR 80 for limbs, face, eyes, neck, groin; suit provides Lifting ST +10, Striking ST +5, Super Jump 2; provides half a level of Enhanced Move (Ground).
The Psycho armor also provides psionic enhancer circuitry capable of supporting an Energy Reserve of up to 20 points.
Psycho armor costs $100,000, and weighs 165 pounds (which doesn't count towards encumbrance)

Fire Drake Armor: As part of an ongoing program to produce small, mobile units capable of dealing with Zerg and Protoss on their own terms, the UED has introduced the Fire Drake, an upgrade to standard Firebat units. Since its introduction, colonial militias and Terran Dominion forces have also began to accquire Fire Drake units of their own (commonly referred to simply as "Drakes").
Drake battlesuits have reduced armor, to improve speed. The fuel tanks of the flamethrower have also been modified to fuel a set of jump-jets, although using this feature drains tanks quite quickly. Finally, a two-shot napalm rocket launcher is integrated into the suit, to give Drakes slightly more initial punch and long-range capacity.
Fire Drake armor is the same as the TL 10 Battlesuit, with the following exceptions: DR 95 on torso, skull, or underside of foot, DR 80 for limbs, face, eyes, neck, groin, plus an additional 10 points of DR vs fire on all locations; Enhanced Move 1; Jump-jets that provide Super-Jump +4 (each use of Super Jump effectively uses up 10 shots from the flamethrower's tank); The suit incorporates a two-shot napalm rocket launcher, with stats otherwise identical to the Napalm Rocket Launcher.
Weight: 150 (does not count towards encumbrance)
Cost: $110,000
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Weapons:

C-14 “Impaler” Gauss Rifle: as the Gauss Rifle, 4mm

C-11 “Stinger” Gauss Rifle: as the Gauss PDW, 4mm (which means it's actually an SMG, not a rifle)

Flak Pistol: TL 10 Gauss Pistol
Dmg: 2d(3)pi-; Acc: 2+1; Range 800/2,900; Weight: 2.5/.6; RoF 20; Shots 60(3); ST 9; Bulk -2; RCL 2; Cost $1,500

“Torrent” SR 8 Shotgun: TL 10 Auto Shotgun
Dmg: 1d+2(2) pi; Acc: 3+1; Range: 75/200; Weight 10/1; RoF: 4X12; Shots: 10(3i); ST: 11†; Bulk: -5; Rcl: 1; Cost: $1500

BE3 Sticky Grenade/Rifle Grenade: both TL 10 Frag grenades
Dmg: 6d*2 cr ex [5d(2)]; Weight: 1; Fuse: 2-10 (default 3, can be set otherwise with a Ready action); Cost: $60
The BE3 includes an electromagnetic outer coating that can grab onto almost anything metallic. To successfully adhere, the attack roll to throw the grenade must have a margin of success of 1 or greater. Once stuck, removing the grenade requires 3 seconds and at least 2200 pounds of force (at least ST 38). A successfully adhered grenade always counts as a contact explosion, doing maximum damage.

Firebat Flamethrower: TL 10 Plasma flamethrower
Dmg: 4d burn + 2d hypercor*; Acc: 3; Range 50/20; Rof: Jet/Cone; Shots: 30; ST: 10†
*Hypercorrosive is an enhancement I made up after consulting the boards here. Basically, it reduces DR by 1 point for every point of damage done, not every 5. As an enhancement on a Corrosive Innate Attack, it woudl cost +200%.
The flamethrower is built into the firebats' battlesuits, and thus has no separate weight, bulk, or cost stats. The weapon can be set to either jet or cone mode. In jet mode, it has a 50 yard range. In cone mode, it creates a cone 25 yards long, and 15 yards wide at the end. The listed Acc applies in code mode. The weapon actually fires superheated plasma, which both burns enemies, and degrades their armor.

Napalm Rocket: TL 10 napalm rocket
Dmg 6dX6(10) burn ex; Acc: 3+3; Range: 400/3000; Weight: 25/6; RoF: 1; Shots: 1(5); ST: 10†; Bulk -6; Rcl: 1; Cost: $7,500
Half damage range does not actually decrease damage – it simply removes the armor divisor.

BOSUN FN92 Sniper Rifle: TL 10 Gauss sniper rifle
Dmg 13d(3) pi; Acc: 10+3; Range: 2000/12,500; Weight: 22/.8; RoF: 1; Shots: 1(3); ST: 11B†; Bulk: -6; Rcl: 4; Cost: $8,000

"Warcry" Heavy Assault Cannon: Designed to be used by the Howler heavy assault troops, the Warcry is truly massive, essentially impossible to fire without battlesuit assistance. It uses Gauss technology to fire an APDS round with an explosive core. The Warcry has stats of:
Dmg: 22d (2) pi+ and 1d ex (Note that if the round fails to penetrate, the explosive damage is considered a contact explosion, doing maximum damage. If the round penetrates, but doesn't overpenetrate, the explosion damage has a wounding modifier of X3)
Acc: 6+4 (+1 from bracing from Howler armor)
Range: 3600/14,400
Weight: 150/50
RoF: 1
Shots: 1 (3A) (The "A" indicates that the gun self-loads - in this case, charging the capacitors to power the Gauss cannon requires 3 seconds. During the reloading period, a user can take other actions. The Warcry has a clip with 50 shots)
ST: 25M†
Bulk: -10
Rcl: 3
Cost: $50,000

"Scythe" Heavy Machine Gun: This weapon is usually used in defensive emplacements, but Howler units also sometimes carry them. It uses Gauss technology to propel explosive shells. APDS ammuntion is also available
Dmg: 15d+1 pi+ plus 1d-2 ex (19d+2(2) pi plus 1d-3 ex for APDS);
Acc: 7;
Range: 2,000/8,250 (3000/12,375 for APDS);
Weight: 125/40;
RoF: 10!;
Shots: 100(5);
ST: 20M†;
Bulk: -8;
Rcl: 2;
Cost: $20,000;

C-10 “Blaster” Canister Rifle: TL 10 electromagnetic cannon grenade launcher
Acc: 4+3; Range 2,500; Weight: 14/2; RoF: 1; Shots 1(3); ST: 13; Bulk: -6; Rcl: 5; Cost: $12,000
Note: The C-10's electromagnetic cannon's capacitors have a 3-shot capacity. After this, they must recharge for 1 minute from a power source (usually the ghost's battlesuit). Other power sources can be subsituted, however.

Canister rounds:

Lockdown Round: If it hits an electrical device, the device must make a HT-5 check, or become deactivated (treat as unconsciousness) for a number of minutes equal to its margin of failure on the HT roll. ($10,000)

HE Round: Simple large grenade round – does 6d*3 cr ex [6d(2)] ($5,000)

AV Round: A penetrating explosive munition – has damage divisor 10 out to 800 yards, no damage divisor past that. Does 6d cr ex damage ($5,000)

Smoke grenade: releases cloud of smoke that blinds visual sensors (including IR and UV), giving -9 to all vision-based Sense rolls, in an 16-yard radius area. ($2,500)

Flare Round: intensely bright flash munition – anyone within 4 yards must make a HT-5 roll, or be afflicted with Bad Sight (nearsightedness) until someone can make a successful Surgery (for living beings) or Electronics Repair (Sensors) (for mechanical beings). Effectively illuminates an area approximately half a mile in radius ($5,000)

Grapnel Round: Shoots a spike-shaped anchor trailing a thin strand of super-strong line. Does 6d (5) imp damage, with a half-damage range of 800; if it does at least 2 points of damage to at least an inch of material, it deploys spikes parallel to the anchor's axis, which use nanotech to firmly affix the anchor (doing an additional 2 points of damage to whatever object the anchor is stuck in). The anchor and line have a test strenght of 5000 pounds. Pulling out the anchor from a surface does an additional 1d damage. The line from this round has a maximum length of 1000 yards; past this range, the trailing line falls off, though the anchor can still strike and inflict damage, and anchor itself. This round also includes a motorized winch system attached to the line at the gun, capable of lifting up to 750 pounds ($2,500)

Sticky Grenade Round: a larger version of the BE3 Sticky grenade, this round does 6d*2.5 cr ex [5d(2)], and requires at least 3500 pounds of force to remove (at least ST 47).

Grey Goo Round: Releases a cloud of destructive nano, that disassembles everything in the area of effect and makes more nano. Initial area is a 50 yard radius – everything within the area begins taking 3d corrosive damage every 10 seconds, resisted by a HT-5 roll. Success on a HT roll stops the infection. Failure by 5 or more reduces the HT of the target by 1. This damage persists for 300 seconds, until the nano reaches its built-in self-destruct limit. However, anyone in contact with something infected with the nano for more than 10 seconds becomes infected as well, if it fails an initial HT-5 roll. A new infection starts a new timer for the nano's self-destruct, but the nano will in no circumstances continue for longer than 3000 seconds (50 minutes). ($50,000)
Old 10-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Misc Terran Gear

First Aid Kit: Includes all the tools needed to use the First Aid skill without equipment penalties, and enough "special" stuff to give a +1 bonus to First Aid for the first 1d uses. One kit normally lasts for 4d uses. It contains synthflesh patches, broad-spectrum self-tailoring antibiotics, immune boosters, limited nano healing-boosters, etc.
Cost: $50

Standard Medical Nano: Medical nano is usually referred to as "pink goo".
Application requires a First Aid roll at -4, or an unmodified Physician or Surgery roll (standard battlesuits have special ports to administer this sort of thing, giving a +2 to the roll). The nano has a number of effects. First, it immediately stabilizes and applies first aid to the target, using a First Aid skill of 16. At this stage, it also attempts to resuscitate them, if they are suffering from drowning, asphyxiation, or a heart attack, and attempts to deal with any poisons in the target's system. The nano has an effective Physician skill of 14 for these tasks.
After dealing with immediate threats, the nano will attempt to repair any major damage the target is suffering. If all the target has is lost hit points, then the nano attempts medical care - it may roll against Physician 3 times per day - see Basic 424. The target also counts as being under the care of a physician during this time, gaining a +1 on all rolls for natural recovery.
If the patient needs surgery, either to stabilize a mortal wound, or to repair a lasting or permanent crippling injury, the nano will attempt it. While attempting surgery, the nano cannot administer medical care.
Medical nano survives in a patient's system for 30-HT hours; after that, the body's immune system breaks it down and removes it. Immune supressing drugs can extend this, but have their own problems.
Medical nano automatically provides its own basic equipment, and anesthetic. Better quality equipment can improve its skill rolls as well. However, the patient must be in a state where a normal doctor could work on them - the nano can't administer First Aid unless the patient is keeping still and rested, for example.
Only medical nano designed for humans has been developed thus far. Pink goo can work on aliens (the nano is "smart" and adaptible), but it takes the -6 "Utterly Alien" physiology modifier (Basic 181) to all its rolls.
Cost: $10,000

Regenerative Medical Nano: This is top-of-the-line nano - it actively rebuilds damage to the body, rather than simply accelerating the body's healing process.
Application requires a First Aid roll at -4, or an unmodified Physician or Surgery roll (standard battlesuits have special ports to administer this sort of thing, giving a +2 to the roll).
Once administered, the nano provides Fast Regneration (1 hp/minute) and Regrowth. It lasts in the body for a number of minutes equal to (25-HT)*10.
Regneration nano uses up a great deal of the body's resources. If either advantage provided by the nano becomes nessecary (as opposed to sitting passively in the body after being administered as a precaution), the patient accquires the Increased Consumption 3 disadvantage, and must immediately make up the missed meals, or take starvation damage! (A standard battlesuit contains 30 "meals" of food-substitute - a character who's regneration nano activates will generally have to immediately eat 7 of them, and consume up to 16 throughout the rest of the day.)
Cost: One dose of regenerative medical nano costs $25,000.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Maz

Looking forward to Zerg stuff. I guess they have alot of Armour Divisor?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

For zerg, I don't have actual racial templates or anything worked out, mostly because even within a given type of unit, there's going to be a lot of variation, between, say, an unupgraded zergling, and one with all the armor, attack, and speed boosts. I have made up guidelines, however. These three are all I've got so far - I was planning on building some bigger units as I needed them, and as I saw exactly how effective the players were against these guys.

Zerglings
"Basic" zerglings have DR 20; this can increase to as high as 40, for hives that have implemented the full suite of zerg genetic programs.
Zerglings typically have two Cutting/Impaling Strikers with the Long and Armor Divisor (3) enhancements (their claws; I build the Impaling Strikers as Alternative Attacks to the Cutting Strikers), Teeth: Fangs with the Armor Divisor (3) enhancement, 40 levels of Striking ST with the "Only affects Claws and Bite" limitation, which I figure is about -20%, and another 15 levels of Striking ST with the "only affects Claws" limitation, which is probably about -35%. All told, this gives basic zerglings two claws that can do 8d+8 impaling or cutting damage, and teeth that can do 6d-1 impaling. Advanced zerglings add extra Striking ST, damage divisors of 5, and extra attacks to strike more often.
Zergling hit points start at 15, and can reach as high as 20.
Basic zerglings have a Basic Move of 6, with Enhanced Move 1. Advanced zerglings can have Basic Move up to 8, and Enhanced Move 2.
Basic zerglings have DX 12, ST 15, HT 10, and IQ 5. Advanced zerglings can have DX of 14, ST of 20, and HT of 12.

Hydralisks
Standard hydralisks have DR 50; increased up to 80 for advanced specimens.
Hydralisks have two claws (Impaling/Cutting Strikers again, with the Long Enhancement and Armor Divisor (2), plus 43 levels of Striking ST, limited only to the two Strikers; this gives them damage of 7d+6). However, their primary attack is their ranged spit, an Innate Attack which does 6d large piercing, with an armor divsor of 5. These attacks can increase the armor divisor to 3, and the Striking ST to a total ST of 80 for the claws, and 8d(10) for the spit, with increased range and accuracy.
Hyrdralisk hit points start at 17, and can run as high as 30.
Basic hyrdalisks have a Basic Move of 5, and Enhanced Move .5. Upgraded hydralisks can have Basic Moves of 6, and Enhanced Move 1.5.
Hydralisk starting stats are DX 11, ST 17, HT 10, and IQ 8. Upgraded hyralisks can have DX 14, ST 30, HT 12, and IQ 10.

Mutalisks
Standard mutalisks have DR 50, advanced up to 70.
Mutalisks' standard attack does 8d (5) huge piercing on its first strike, 4d(3) large piercing on its first bounce, and 2d(2) piercing on its second bounce. This can increase by up to 10d(10), 5d(5), and 2d(3), respectively.
Mutalisk hit points start at 20, and can be as high as 30.
Basic mutalisks have a Basic Air Move of 11, with Enhanced Air Move 3. Upgraded mutalisks can have up to Basic Air Move of 15, and Enhanced Air Move 4.
Basic mutalisks have DX 13, ST 20, HT 10, and IQ 8. Upgraded mutalisks can have DX 15, ST 30, HT 12, and IQ 10.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
William

Great stuff! The Terran equipment alone is enough to build an IW world out of, especially with a few comments on typical skillsets of the various MOSes of Terran units; once we get enough tech information out to build the vehicles they'd essentially be done.

A similarly full writeup for the Zerg and the Protoss would make me wonder if SJGames could inexpensively get permission from Blizzard to e23 it... or, alternatively, interest Blizzard in putting out its own "Powered by GURPS" RPG setting...
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Great stuff!
Thanks! Always nice to hear. :-)

Quote:
once we get enough tech information out to build the vehicles they'd essentially be done.
Oh, my, how I wish I had the VDS system right now. :-) Until I get it, I'll just fudge the numbers. Still, I'm eagerly awaiting that particular product!

Quote:
A similarly full writeup for the Zerg and the Protoss would make me wonder if SJGames could inexpensively get permission from Blizzard to e23 it... or, alternatively, interest Blizzard in putting out its own "Powered by GURPS" RPG setting...
Don't I just wish! However, I suspect that this is one of those liscenses that would be "very expensive to get, but not popular enough to make a decent profit on it". Obviously, I don't know SJGames internal policy. However, I've gotten the impression that liscenses aren't really that great of a buisiness move, generally. I won't hold my breath. :-)
Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
GhostInTheMachine

I know that somewhere on the D20 Modern forums there is a Starcraft D20.
It should be deleted, but accessable at this link.
GhostInTheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, starcraft