Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
JimmyPlenty

Default Gestrues and Incantations

Thinking if a wizard does not have to move their hands or speak to cast a spell, they roll again IQ instead to cast a spell since it has little do do anymore about movement.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Gestrues and Incantations

Like all TFT stats, DX is an abstracted attribute... one that reflects the wizard's general skill or prowess at spellcasting, not the intricacy of their hand movements (at least, not in this scenario).
Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #3
hcobb

Mollys are plenty annoying already in picking those spells that do roll vs IQ.

I was reminded in a recent scenario that it is sometimes useful to cast "Remove Thrown Spell" without twitching a muscle.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
JimmyPlenty

I guess I am not seeing where the DX would be the attribute to fit into spells then if movement is not the thing. Since magic is psychic in nature, (and even if it wasn't) I would think IQ would be the deal.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty View Post
I guess I am not seeing where the DX would be the attribute to fit into spells then if movement is not the thing. Since magic is psychic in nature, (and even if it wasn't) I would think IQ would be the deal.
In part, it is a design-balance thing... as Henry infers, wizards will already be focused on increasing their IQ to gain more potent spells, but to then tie their spellcasting to an IQ roll makes that one attribute too powerful compared to the others.

The ST and DX stats, then, must be understood to have more than just the obvious physical application in the game. DX covers dexterity and agility, yes, but it also stands in place for overall ability (not unlike a level-based bonus in another ruleset).
Old 05-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
JimmyPlenty

OK. How about this...

Spell IQ at least 5 less than the wizard’s: The wizard may cast the spell without appearing to move a muscle. However, since they are not using the patterns of physical gestures and chants and relying solely on the power of their own mind, spells are rolled at the caster's 4/IQ instead of 3/DX.

So, it makes it tougher to cast so IQ heavy character's don't cheese it out. Also, it keeps the feel of format for the attributes. (because i fell it's really an IQ roll at that point)

Last edited by JimmyPlenty; 05-11-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #7
Shostak

Give it a whirl, if you want. But keeping it on DX (where all spells probabl ought to be) does provide more balance for the wizards I've typically seen (higher IQ than ST and DX).
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
hcobb

DX does set your reaction speed, for example disbelief (which can be done while paralyzed), acts in DX order.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
JimmyPlenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
DX does set your reaction speed, for example disbelief (which can be done while paralyzed), acts in DX order.
I can get into the reactions speed, but does not really apply to the action afterward.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #10
Skarg

If you allow spellcasting with IQ, expect lots of wizards to put all of their attribute points into IQ, and their general power level to increase, and lots more high-IQ spells in play.

Wizard is designed to feature trade-offs, not "it's all just about IQ".
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote