Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #41
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Re: Battletech/Mechwarrior mechs in GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
. . . Chicks dig giant robots.
I don't want to know why.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #42
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Additionally, you'll have to invent, whole-cloth a mechanic for heat. That's something GURPS has never used. I've tried a few times and never had any decent success. This was the most recent attempt I made (link to local Denver GURPS Board), but didn't get to far.
Repurpose the last gasp? AP buildup leads to Heat Points, which lead to issues?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #43
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Repurpose the last gasp? AP buildup leads to Heat Points, which lead to issues?
Don't take this personally, but I've never looked too deep into that article. I started reading it, decided it was more complex than I wanted to include in my games and moved on.

I'm sure it's good, and it might work, but I couldn't speak to it. You might want to see about writing up a quick-and-dirty method for using it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #44
Humabout

Use Titan Fightin' from Tech and Toys IV for melee combat? It is specifically designed for mechs kicking tanks and the like.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #45
Pirtti
Banned

Battletech ammunition is by and large APHEX (or Gauss bowling balls) because the armor is, by GURPS standards, ablative and Hardened. Thus the armor divisors in the modern tank gun examples don't really work in the BT universe.

I don't think the comparisons to modern AFV armor are useful either - there aren't any around in 3025 and BT logic is quite different. Not having massive damage and DR values makes the game run a bit smoother and it's easier to stat PBI and Battle Armor without everything going splat in the first second. To avoid rifles ripping 'Mechs apart, perhaps the ablative armor should have a non-ablative "threshold" DR layer, something like DR 15-20 regular scale.

You could just give the 'Mechs x ablative DR as armor, then another y ablative DR as internal structure, using the original hit location tables for 'Mechs, scaling the armor from the original using whatever GURPS damage the PPC is given (the most convenient since it's 10 damage in the tabletop).

I've wanted to do something like this since the official RPGs treat 'Mech vs. infantry combat really shoddily. MW 2nd Edition has perhaps the best rules for such occasions, but the rest of the rules really suck. From 3e on they introduce the armor-piercing mechanic which really doesn't mesh with how 'Mech armor is written up.

I want less tabletop and more novel for my BT games, so no tabletop arguments, please. I just rip whatever's convenient.

Last edited by Pirtti; 09-13-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Pirtti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battletech, mecha, mechs, mechwarrior