Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Jerander

Default Re: [Powers] How would you model these spooky abilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Visualization (Cursing, +100%; Fixed Margin, +0%; Reduced Time 6, +120%) [32]
Visualization (Blessing (Only Others), +0%; Fixed Margin, +0%; Reduced Time 6, +120%) [22]

... takes one second, succeed at roll, target gains a +3/-3 for non-combat tasks and a +1/-1 for combat tasks. ("Fixed Margin" being "Fixed Duration" by another name.) Toss in Link, Reflexive, Area Effect, Aura, Melee Attack (Reach C), Selective Area, Selective Effect and upgrade Blessing (Others) to Blessing (Self and Others) for kicks and giggles.

It isn't unreasonable to allow Reliable to be purchased to modify the margin of success rather than the chance of success.
If you buy two seperate abilities (as above), you can have one blessing and one curse going at the same time. Consider making them Alternate Abilities if you can only do one or the other at a time. I'd also consider adding Cumulative to boost the bonus/penalty.

Powers says you cannot combine Blessing and Cursing in the same ability, but can you do so if you use Selectivity?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Darklim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Probability Manipulation

Also in Cabal and Spirits, spirits can make small adjustments to probability. That is, they can malign you or they can bless you. The presence of a wicked spirit will haunt you with bad luck, while a good spirit will make you fortunate and happy. Makes sense. It also functions via modifiers, similar to the Bless spell from Magic, but with slightly different costs. This allows you to have weak spirits who can barely bless you, and powerful spirits who are practically rewriting your world for you.
Alright, I may be sputtering utter non-sense (I'm fairly new at GURPS), but... what about the probability alteration psionic powers?
Darklim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklim View Post
Alright, I may be sputtering utter non-sense (I'm fairly new at GURPS), but... what about the probability alteration psionic powers?
Hmmm, upon rereading that, the Adjustment power is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Darklim

Quote:
Hmmm, upon rereading that, the Adjustment power is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for.
Well then, glad if I helped a little.

(There's also "Curse", and you can tweak "Second chance" for it to only affect others or something along those lines.)
Darklim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
Snaps

Quote:
Soul Gaze

In the Dresden Files, it seems everyone who meets the gaze of a sorcerer has his soul bared to him. This is simple enough: I'd just call it Empathy + Detect (Supernatural Beings) with some limitation reflecting the fact that you have to actually meet someone's gaze to make it work.

BUT! It also lets the other person see YOUR soul. How would you model THAT? Just a nuisance effect?
Well, there are really two separate abilities we are talking about here. Soul Gaze is something similar to a Vulcan Mind Meld. The Sight is the ability a Wizard in the Dresden Universe has to look at the true nature or state of something, seeing them how they truly are. (Sort of a super version of True Sight from D&D).

I'd model Soul Gaze with Mind Probe, something like:

Mind Probe (Invasive, +75%; Malediction, +100%; Accessibility: Can only ask questions about true nature, -20%; Vision-Based, -20%; Backlash, Stunning, Resistible, -25%; Nuisance Effect: Subject learns as much about you as you learn about them, -20%; Alternate Ability, x1/5) [8 points]

Also, using Soul Gaze on something horrible would probably cause a fright check, possibly a really bad one. (Bad enough to drive the wizard insane.)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Edges

Quote:

Soul Gaze

In the Dresden Files, it seems everyone who meets the gaze of a sorcerer has his soul bared to him. This is simple enough: I'd just call it Empathy + Detect (Supernatural Beings) with some limitation reflecting the fact that you have to actually meet someone's gaze to make it work.

BUT! It also lets the other person see YOUR soul. How would you model THAT? Just a nuisance effect?
I don't know the source material so I could be way off. But I've gotten results similar to what you seem to be looking for by tinkering a little with Illuminated. That could cover the mutual Detect. Temporary Disadvantage (Easy to Read) could perhaps be worked in there somewhere to make Empathy mutual as well.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, horror, spirits