Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #161
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

He doesn't have any money with him yet, so he can't buy any novel foods, but there seems to be a dearth of anything really new and interesting as compared to home. Food is definately more old-fashioned though: proper sausages instead of hot-dogs, they don't seem to have pizza, and jerky is sold as just 'smoked beef'. And its not just the food. It seems this entire society doesn't have the resources for proper variety: there are only two kinds of bricks and 90% of the doorknobs look exactly the same. The other 10% seem to be custom made from a forge. There is only one kind of car, one kind of truck, and they look like they both share parts with a single kind of tractor.

Goliath has actually already been fed table scraps. The women don't object to Peter having a dog, they object to having the dog inside the house. That said, he can't find any dog food: apparently its traditional to just feed them scraps. Rider comments the normal place to get good food is to ask the butcher for extremely low quality meat (which gives you things like the head of a cow, the hooves, or the spleen. Collars aren't hard to get, but their is only one kind in various lengths... a strong dull leather one with a large iron ring on it.

Bows are available ... and actually not that expensive: some of them are only 1 dollar, though they look like cheap work. Guns are more expensive, but not too much. They are sold at the same stores. Both are one of the few places were variety is common. guns feature everything from the revolutionary war to WWII. Bows include compounds, native american bows, recurves, and english long bows. All of them seem to have been used before. Or at least to have been made a while back. Ammunition more expensive than the gun prices would indicate though.

He doesn't see anyone who needs help, but its the thought that counts, right?

Rider: "Its mostly us. They're a tad 'superstitious'. can you blame them? they were superstitious when there wasn't spirits out there looking to share your body, offering power in exchange for your soul." The last part comes out bitter and sarcastic. "And we are nocturnal, and a lot of crime does have one of us involved, if only because that's the part of society we've been forced to work with."

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #162
the_matrix_walker

Peter will play with Goliath for a while, bounding around and playing fetch with a stick before heading back to go to bed in the shed.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #163
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Goliath is appreciative of the game, and greatly enjoys himself. When Peter gets home, he gets one last offer to leave Goliath outside and sleep in the bed inside.

Peter goes to bed and sleeps soundly in spite of the shed.

When he wakes up, he has enough to keep him busy: eating breakfast (corn mush), cleaning it up, getting to school and then to work. Goliath will have to stay home for most of it, or so Mrs. Coffin tells him.

The school has something of a rustic feel. While the construction is as modern as anything he's seen, The books are printed in black and white, all the pens are fountain pens rather than ball points, and there are certainly no computers or calculators. The subjects are fairly typical, and quite familiar. though the literature class seems to focus on really old stuff... nothing before WWII, and not much before WWI. And the history class looks fairly different: Its focused earlier in time and is split between old earth history and the history of the people here.

The kids are as well behaved as can be expected: There are about 30 people in each class. Peter gets a fair number of looks, but no one really initiates contact. He's sitting where-ever empty seats have been before. There is a dearth of riders among the students and teachers: Peter doesn't detect one all day at school (though he did catch one on his way there).

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:35 PM   #164
the_matrix_walker

Peter will do his best to be a good student and see if he can make some friends.

If they give him a local history book, he will be sure to bring it home, even if it is not needed for his homework. Peter is anxious to learn more about this place.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #165
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter finds he needs to request the book to take it home, but the teacher is quite accommodating of that particular request, seeing that its one of his weak spots. The book provides some nice information, as it actually talks fairly frankly about the riders, though it calls them demons:

Most of the time people brought to this world come in large groups: towns, army camps, and ships. Ships happen particularly often.
Most of the travel coincides with wars: The last large batches of settlers came during the world wars, and have made great inroads into the local culture.
World travel seems to be limited to the east coast. While the world has been explored, new people only seem to show up around the north atlantic coast. The rest of world is bronze age or more primitive.
The first travel was the colony of Roanoke (the famous 'lost colony'). The center of civilization is still in Virginia.
Riders have only been a problem a little over 200 years. The original settlers (1600s) did not have to deal with them. The Riders actually conquered civilization just prior to the American revolution. The camps of soldiers that went through were a great help in the liberation.
Riders seem concentrated on the east coast, and while they do work with other populations, they seem to have a special taste for civilized people.

Any way that he'll try to make friends, or types of people he tries to make friends with?

Work is somewhat boring and full of legal stuff ... the local government appears to think young boys are ticking time bombs. It takes him all of his work period to finish it up.

As he is finishing he senses a Rider come up and stand next to the door. He can't see the guy, but there is definitely a man, he's definitely got a rider in him, and the rider is definitely using some of his power... which is probably why Peter can't see him.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #166
the_matrix_walker

Peter is generally friendly, he doesn't spend extra effort to get in with any click in particular... though he would favor "good kids" over the "troublemakers" if he gets a sense about them.

He'll talk about "Scouting" and tell them about Goliath (and point him out f he's hanging around the school waiting for him).

'Senarich, we're being watched...' Peter thinks to his companion, trying not to be outwardly obvious that he's detected the invisible observer. 'What should I do?'
Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #167
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter is able to get to talking with some of the boys. The ones he hits it off best with are ones who enjoy the outdoors. They've never heard of scouting, somehow. They find it kind of odd that an organization would sponsor those kind of activities: those are the kind of things people try to get them NOT to do.

These particular boys chafe particularly at the curfew and the general instruction to stay out of the wilderness. They do believe in the demons, but they don't really think it will ever happen to them. Rider is muttering things about paranoia and 'Thus I had to wait for a complete outsider'.

The boys work at an automobile shop... it seems most of the cliques around here work at the same place. They seem to have choosen the job for the owner rather than the work... the guy is fun and sometimes lets them work during the evening rather during the day.

-------------------------------------------------

Rider: "Well, he's either waiting for us to go home so he can talk to Kissinger or he's waiting for someone to walk past him so he can jump them. I'd guess he's more interested in Kissinger than us. Though personally I'd like to know which of us are in on this..."

Rider: "We could just walk out and bet that he doesn't want to attack us. I could turn you invisible and we walk out that way. I could turn you invisible and we stick around and listen. What I would not suggest is telling Kissinger about him."

Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #168
the_matrix_walker

Peter thinks to Rider... 'Ok, when I'm done, we'll listen in.'

Peter finishes his work day and keeps track of the invisible guest...

When it comes time to leave, he'll bid his farewells and head out... then return invisibly to eavesdrop.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #169
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Peter leaves, rounds a corner, and checks that no-one is watching. Senarich turns him invisible, and sharpens his senses as well.

After two or three minutes, Kissinger opens the door so his invisible guest can come in, and Peter slips in at the same time. Kissinger leads the man into the back, and the visitor becomes visible.

Its a woman, wearing a crisp, dark, stifling dress and her hair done quite tightly. She is obviously wealthy, and while she is probably only in her early thirties, she acts as though she is much older. Certainly Kissinger's superior.

Woman: "Any luck so far?"

Kissinger: "They still don't trust me. Fancy that."

Woman: "And why not? you work for Morgan Freight. If that isn't..."

Kissinger: "They know that Morgan's one of us, and he hired me. Which makes things really blasted hard. They're trying to use me to my full potential as a tool without telling me anything. Though I can read between the lines enough to tell what they're thinking."

Woman: "Then how do you know..."

Kissinger: "They let me know that early on. I put on a good act and everything, but I don't think they completely bought it. They're not moving against him right now because they want to use him to track down others. So its a good thing you're talking to me instead of him."

Woman: <some strange cuss word>

Kissinger: "I am sorry, master, but what is done is done. We will eventually loose him."

Rider: "She must have one of our more ancient members in her. I wonder who..."

Woman: "How much do you know about their identities?"

Kissinger: "I know only who they suspect. They've been quite good about keeping their own identities a secret. Right now they are investigating Elijah Rancurrot, Thomas Shortwater, and Martha and Ivan Derrick."

Woman: "And Morgan knows..."

Kissinger: "Morgan knows nothing of my role. He will have to be insulated from our activities. He will understand eventually. Particuarly if we can get him out of this mess. I have been warning him about people trying to look into his affairs, and that he should lay low for the time being."

Woman: "Poor Irodontus. He made such a large gamble, and did so much for us... and didn't really get much out of it."

Kissinger: "For the cause, right?"

Woman: "I hear you got a new assistant. I hope that means you'll have more time to devote to coordinating our movements."

Kissinger: "We'll see how he does. He's pretty good, but he's also really green. He showed up all by himself. Just him and a dog. Have you heard of anyone else coming through?"

Woman: "No, not really. Thats really odd. Have you considered turning him to our--"

Kissinger: "Of course the thought has crossed my mind. But I don't know him well. I wouldn't have him turning me in... he's green yes, but I don't know where all the chips will fall yet."

The conversation starts talking about politics, and lamenting of how paranoid the society they live in is. Several times they talk about how much easier things would be if enough people were 'snatched' to overwhelm the existing society, and reminice about the 'good old days' up until the take over when they were kicked out of their hosts, defeated, and forced into hiding.

OCC: sorry if this is long, but I'm not sure how to give all the information across without being really vauge.

OCC-PS: I've been reading Dresden files, and the two entities in one body is really reminding me of the Denarians. That was not intentional at all.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #170
the_matrix_walker

((OOC: Don't fret about a long post, I don't mind at all. So there is an ancient "rider" in the woman and they are keeping secrets from Morgan... Not sure what to do with the information though...))

Peter sneaks out and heads home for dinner, pondering all he's hear and trying to make sense of it.

He thinks to Rider, 'Should we warn Mr. Morgan? Sounds like he could be in trouble."

-------------------

After dinner Peter helps clean up and then plays some catch with Goliath, before tuning in early. He concentrates on the images from his strange dream, hoping to call up the images once again and make more sense of them.

Tags
lost in dreams