Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-26-2022, 01:04 AM   #11
corwyn

Default Re: One D&D - Dungeons and Dragons started playtest of their new edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
3Ed was the first real attempt to fully systematize things, although late 2E was drifting in that direction - 1Ed was much like soup (partly because it was full of miscellaneous stuff boiled together, and partly because you hadda roll with it (ahem)).

But another version of D&D already? Have they been hanging out with G-dubs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SID View Post
Alas, I agree.

I still feel like 5E was released just yesterday.

The books are costly, but I cannot deny a lot of people complained about the changes in 5E, perhaps they want to concile old and new systems.
Already? It's already the longest iteration of D&D since WotC acquired it.

3e was 4 years
3.5 was years - granted,they were very compatible, but we did "need" to buy all 3 core books over again
4e 4 years
Essentials (4.5) see 3.5
5e - 6 years and counting; 2024 will be 8 years. From Wizards' perspective that is way overdue for making fans buy all the core books again. We're lucky there wasn't a new half-edition 2 years ago.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #12
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: One D&D - Dungeons and Dragons started playtest of their new edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Already? It's already the longest iteration of D&D since WotC acquired it.

3e was 4 years
3.5 was years - granted,they were very compatible, but we did "need" to buy all 3 core books over again
4e 4 years
Essentials (4.5) see 3.5
5e - 6 years and counting; 2024 will be 8 years. From Wizards' perspective that is way overdue for making fans buy all the core books again. We're lucky there wasn't a new half-edition 2 years ago.

Slight corrections, 3e was 2000-2003, so 4ish years, 3.5 was 2003-2008, so 5ish years. 4e was 2008-2014, 6ish years. 5e 2014-current, it hit 8 years old this month, and will be 10 by the release of whatever One D&D ends up being.

Though that still fits the longest iteration from WotC.

Edit: ish years because I didn't bother looking up what months were involved. Beyond knowing the months involved in 5e.
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #13
Astromancer

They should decide a basic point on the rules. That's to answer the question. "Is DnD rules light or something more complex?" It seems to me that DnD never answered that question for themselves they just push it off on us.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote