Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #11
warellis

Default Re: sword-in-mouth fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
Holding a SWORD in your MOUTH?

Jesus Christ.

Anyone who wants to see what it might be like should, say, take a 3' length of rebar, hold it lengthwise in their jaws, and maybe just walk around like that for a few minutes ... and consider that such would be lighter than many a sword.

The selling point of this game system was, after all, that it strove to be tolerably realistic. But even by the standards of cinematic play this is insane.
So what you're saying is that GURPS can't handle One Piece well it seems?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #12
Donny Brook

TL permitting, it would be cooler to hold a .50 cal in your mouth.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 02:19 PM   #13
Sorenant

I'm with Varyon, Extra Arm (Weapon Mount; Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak)+ optionally Special Exercises perk seems fitting.
Realistically, there would be reach and mobility issues but every time something like this shows up in anime or game they don't seem to suffer any such downsides, so I'd just ignore it the same way I'm ignoring dental issues it might cause.

Last edited by Sorenant; 09-23-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:11 PM   #14
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
I'm with Varyon, Extra Arm (Weapon Mount; Temporary Disadvantage: Cannot Speak)+ optionally Special Exercises perk seems fitting.
Realistically, there would be reach and mobility issues but every time something like this shows up in anime or game they don't seem to suffer any such downsides, so I'd just ignore it the same way I'm ignoring dental issues it might cause.
Zolo (or Zoro, transliterations vary) Ffrom One Piece can speak while doing his " Three Sword Style" with minimal problems and he also has Extra Attack x2 (regular) andf then a difficult to determine number of Multiistrike levels of it. He has a number of sword-based Innate Attacks (a number of them ranged) too.

Gurps might handle this sort of thing with rather some difficulty but any other system (except maybe Hero) could only handle it by throwing up its' hands up and then waving them a lot.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #15
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Extra Arm (Weapon Mount).
Seems like a good baseline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
It seems like a great way to get your teeth knocked out.
Perhaps the 'Unsupported' limitation could cover this?

Or maybe with an either/or limitation of "Requires Skill Roll" (the weapon you're wielding) where a successful roll means you avoid making the HT roll for damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
You could add further Limitations, although seeing as Weapon Mount is -80%, they won't do anything to the price.
I think "No Signature" enhancement could be approprirate to buy considering you don't look different from usual prior to mounting the weapon.

I'm thinking maybe also "Force Extensions" to reflect how you don't actually have a distinct limb with it's own HP that can be targeted to disable the weapon mount.

On the other hand, crippling the jaw should prevent you from using this, which is probably akin to taking Limb -20% on Striker ?

I don't know if that would also cover the inability to do bite attacks while using your Weapon Mount.

It's almost like Temporary Disadvantage (No Bite) if that's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Zolo (or Zoro, transliterations vary) Ffrom One Piece can speak while doing his " Three Sword Style" with minimal problems and he also has Extra Attack x2 (regular) andf then a difficult to determine number of Multiistrike levels of it.
I guess if you have Extra Limb (Weapon Mount) that allows you to use an Extra Attack without needing the Multi-Strike enhancement, as compared to doing extra hits using your pre-existing limbs?
Old 09-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Perhaps the 'Unsupported' limitation could cover this?

Or maybe with an either/or limitation of "Requires Skill Roll" (the weapon you're wielding) where a successful roll means you avoid making the HT roll for damage.
I flippantly answered without really thinkng of the source material. Those are good solutions that may not matter for fantastical characters who would never suffer realistic problems in-genre.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:01 PM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post

I guess if you have Extra Limb (Weapon Mount) that allows you to use an Extra Attack without needing the Multi-Strike enhancement, as compared to doing extra hits using your pre-existing limbs?
Weapon Mount provides another limb to use the regular form of Extra Attack with. It's just that Zoro usually fights with 3 swords. That's one in each hand and one in his teeth and he still gets more thna 3 attacks so he needs the Multistrike version as well or possibly ATR instead or maybe just in addition to.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #18
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I flippantly answered without really thinkng of the source material. Those are good solutions that may not matter for fantastical characters who would never suffer realistic problems in-genre.
True, though I could see it in trying to at least approach emulating realistic considerations. Someone like Zoro or Zacian (pokemon) have high skill (or HT/FP) to minimize the downside of taking either/or limitations.

It does make me wonder ... if you have "either a DX roll or a HT roll" as either/or limitations - does the player get to choose which roll he attempts to succeed at first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Weapon Mount provides another limb to use the regular form of Extra Attack with. It's just that Zoro usually fights with 3 swords. That's one in each hand and one in his teeth and he still gets more thna 3 attacks so he needs the Multistrike version as well or possibly ATR instead or maybe just in addition to.
I imagine that Extra Attack normally could be used with a head attack (bite or headbutt) if you had already used all your limbs once.

In this case, rather than adding a striker/limb separate from the bite, since it would take place of a head attack, that's why I figure the limb-20% discount (shin-striker) would make sense.

Not just because crippling the limb would cripple your 'extra limb'/striker but also because it would count as an attack with that body part.

Last edited by Plane; 09-25-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sillyness