Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
Plane

Default sword-in-mouth fighting

the logo for Pokemon Sword got me wondering about this, plus there's that pirate in One Piece who holds a 3rd sword that way

For the most part I think it's more of a "place to hold a backup when I lack a scabbard" but in terms of actually parrying or inflicting damage I wonder how you'd go about it.

Seems possibly more complex than just taking Technique Adaptation for Brawling.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:02 PM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: sword-in-mouth fighting

It seems like a great way to get your teeth knocked out.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:30 PM   #3
talonthehand

Just going off the cuff, at a bare minimum I'd give anything dealing with that sword the same penalties as ham-handed, reduce reach to 0, and probably require a roll to see if they make it through doorways without getting caught on it. Given time to look through materials, I'd add more issues in a serious campaign.

There are wilder things out there in cinematic combat, so if you were like Zolo in One Piece, I'd be fine with techniques to buy off the ham-handed penalty.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #4
Lovewyrm

Maybe some sort of innate attack that can be stolen?
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:46 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
It seems like a great way to get your teeth knocked out.
Plus serious cuts to the face. Teeth and jaw aren't well suited to holding hard, slippery things like sword blades.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:18 AM   #6
RGTraynor

Holding a SWORD in your MOUTH?

Jesus Christ.

Anyone who wants to see what it might be like should, say, take a 3' length of rebar, hold it lengthwise in their jaws, and maybe just walk around like that for a few minutes ... and consider that such would be lighter than many a sword.

The selling point of this game system was, after all, that it strove to be tolerably realistic. But even by the standards of cinematic play this is insane.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #7
Lovewyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post

Jesus Christ.

Anyone who wants to see what it might be like should, say, take a 3' length of rebar, hold it lengthwise in their jaws, and maybe just walk around like that for a few minutes ... and consider that such would be lighter than many a sword.

The selling point of this game system was, after all, that it strove to be tolerably realistic. But even by the standards of cinematic play this is insane.
It is completely and utterly asinine, yes.
But, from a "let it happen" standpoint, maybe a striker or something would be fair.
I mean, if you played a character that has horns for ramming, they also would be unwieldly, could get caught in narrow passageways, and awkward to parry with but.
Y'know.

That weapon mount angle seems even better than an innate attack, too.
But I suggested an innate attack cause only really Zoro (the one piece character) can do that (to my knowledge).

And it has an actual attack value.
But I think I like the weapon mount better overall still. Then he can use something else in a pinch.
Still weird for a melee weapon though. Should get a damage reduction or something, cause it's so awkward. (which an innate attack could model nicely)
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:25 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovewyrm View Post
Still weird for a melee weapon though. Should get a damage reduction or something, cause it's so awkward. (which an innate attack could model nicely)
You could add further Limitations, although seeing as Weapon Mount is -80%, they won't do anything to the price. That said, restricting it to melee weapons (so you can't just hold a pistol in your mouth and pull the trigger with your tongue) and imposing a damage penalty should be enough to justify having it as a Perk.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:04 PM   #9
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post

Jesus Christ.

So what you're saying is that GURPS can't handle One Piece well it seems?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #10
Varyon

Extra Arm (Weapon Mount).

Tags
sillyness