Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
Genesis

Default The Film Reroll: an RPG/Film Podcast - using GURPS!

Hey forum - I'm going to put in a brief plug for a project I've been working on: a play-session podcast using GURPS!

The Film Reroll is a (nearly) biweekly podcast in which we stat up and play through classic movies. The set-ups are the same, the characters are the same, but with distractible players and dice instead of a team of writers... well, things go off the rails pretty quick most games.

So far we've played Back to the Future 2, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Labyrinth, and we're currently releasing Frozen (episode 1 is up now, the rest will be coming in the next couple weeks...). And it's all done in GURPS!

We're not big-time yet, but I think we've got a fun podcast, and I'd love to see what you guys think of it! We play pretty rules-light (and edit out some of the more mechanical parts of gameplay), but I'm sure you'll recognize the backbone, if you're not too busy shaking your fist at Joz for her homicidal tendencies...

Anyway, we're on iTunes and online - totally free - so check us out and let me know what you all think.

--Genesis
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
SRoach

Default Re: The Film Reroll: an RPG/Film Podcast - using GURPS!

Okay, I've now listened to Stephen King's: Back to the Future.

Nice.

Last edited by SRoach; 02-14-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: edit: No longer all but two minutes. also, disconnected, I intended to do this edit MUCH closer to when I hit post.
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 AM   #3
Marasmusine

Sounds interesting, I'll certainly give them a listen.
Marasmusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
GodBeastX

This is great and humorous stuff! Good job!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Genesis

Thanks for the support guys - I'll leave notes in this thread when we post new episodes (every other week or so), and please let me know if you've got requests/feedback/rules gripes you want to make known. We're having a great time making the show, and we thought it'd be interesting to you guys too, so be vocal if you're listening!

-Genesis
Old 02-16-2016, 02:52 AM   #6
Wavefunction

This is amazing, not only is it hilarious, but I find I don't mind listening to your voices for over an hour, a problem I have with some RPG shows.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Marasmusine

Okay, I've listened to the first episode, and I did enjoy the antics (I liked when it started going a bit Primer with multiple Docs... "a pair o' Docs"!)

But there was one thing I was interested in that wasn't in the show.... the actual process of creating the characters. Is it possible to at least do a run-through of the character sheets before the adventure? (with commentry on any interesting decisions you had to make). Thanks!
Marasmusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:27 AM   #8
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marasmusine View Post
But there was one thing I was interested in that wasn't in the show.... the actual process of creating the characters. Is it possible to at least do a run-through of the character sheets before the adventure? (with commentry on any interesting decisions you had to make). Thanks!
Ooooh, yes, that'd be pretty cool.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
Genesis

Yeah, for sure - we've discussed doing side-shows on character creation, but so far we haven't done one. We've been having the gm make sheets for everyone before the sessions - usually players haven't seen their sheets until they/we sit down! If anyone's gotten to Frozen yet, you'll be able to tell that approaches to cinematic character creation differ (as befits different movie styles, and as expected from different GMs), which might make for fruitful podcast discussion... I'll see about posting sheets to the blog along with the episodes as a first step. Thanks for the feedback!

(And thanks for the compliment, Wavefunction!)

-Genesis
Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #10
gekkonidae

I just finished listening to all your episodes. The show is awesome! I have so many questions.

The show manages to feel very improvised, I can't tell if you have just thought up a lot of different scenarios or if you're really good at thinking on your feet. When I GM it's pretty obvious the stuff I've prepped and what I haven't. Like, what if Jennifer had actually messed with the chronometer in BttF, did you have a scenario for that? That's the kind of thing I just don't let my players do, because I haven't prepared for it, but I felt like your players could literally do anything. So, kudos on that.

How did the paradox mechanic work in BttF? Is that from a sourcebook or was that just improvised?

In Labyrinth. How would you have handled if Joslin was just stumped by the riddles. I thought the riddles were really cool, but I feel like if I did something like that there's always a chance the players just sit there and can't figure it out.

In Frozen, you say at one point on Elsa's powers role that if she crit-fails she freezes the world. I assume that you were just exaggerating, but how would you handle that scenario. It seemed like there was so much crazy stuff that could happen with her ice-powers, do you have those thought out? Btw, I'm definitely rooting for more crit-fails in the next frozen.

Sorry about having so many questions. I guess they're really questions for any experienced GM. Really like the show. Keep it up!
gekkonidae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
podcast, session recording