Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #21
Extrarius

Default Re: The Science of an Unbreakable Weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The One Ring could be called, unbreakable, even if the entire story involved taking it to where it could be destroyed.
The One Ring could be called unbreakable, and it is entirely reasonable (IMO) to remodel the events in game-terms as putting the ring where (theoretically) nobody can get to it, even if it is still intact at the bottom of the molten rock-filled mountain. Hopefully the ring is more dense than molten rock (though that could be a humorous oversight, resulting in a whole second Big Quest to figure out how to get the ring off the top of the molten lake, attach an appropriately dense lava-resistant weight, and throw it into the lava once again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
The object in question is a sword granted by a djinn. Its one of those "get what you ask for" deals. The loot is supposed to be inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as I guess I made it out to be in the original post. In this matter the djinn isnt malicious, he simply cant grant a straight forward wish.

I dont deal in mana zones or enchantments or other circumstantial null fields, so its not magical in a sense, it was created and simply "is" what it is. In that regard I feel its closer to the one ring than the absolute bog standard modern view of video game magic we have everywhere right now.

A more powerful djinn could destroy it, and a god could certainly unmake it. Still need some aspect of it that makes it a pain to deal with. My first thought was just to make it SUPAH heavy but that's dull.
What was the wish? If it was just for an unbreakable sword, you could treat it like a normal sword that gives familiarity penalties until a person has used it enough to get used to the atypical properties (or perhaps it is actually an unusual bladed weapon, so it'd suffer double familiarity penalties). If it needs more downsides, maybe it has a bit of a dull edge for -1 damage (which can't be sharpened since the material is impervious to being ground or hammered or otherwise worked), or maybe it is effectively a sword-shaped club doing only crushing damage.

Last edited by Extrarius; 07-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #22
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
Hopefully the ring is more dense than molten rock (though that could be a humorous oversight, resulting in a whole second Big Quest to figure out how to get the ring off the top of the molten lake, attach an appropriately dense lava-resistant weight, and throw it into the lava once again)
IIRC The Ring showed the property of changing its weight as was convenient, although how much of that was psychological vs physical is impossible to determine as it never did it conveniently on a yard arm.
If it's made out of a material that conforms to the material properties of gold "except when it doesn't" and it can't actually change its density, it's over eight times as dense as magma and is going to vanish. If Mt. Doom is over a good-sized hot spot rather than having lava seeping up through cracks in the crust, it could even end up settling down into or under the crust, and good riddance too.
But it can't be squashed, scratched, or cut, unlike gold, and (in this scenario) can't be melted. Given that, it could have any density the author felt like because it's not really gold. I think it's intended to be "gold-ish" however, and to melt in the fires of Mt. Doom.

If it doesn't melt, and it does sink, I bet it would still somehow arrange for Mt. Doom to erupt and eject it out to be picked up by someone. It's that sort of obnoxious artifact.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #23
Boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"Sproooinioioioiong" actually is another way to release the energy of collision - a loud noise, or alternately you could have it magically transformed to visible light (a bright flash each time or a building glow that takes time to dissipate).
Physics schmysics, it looks impressive and that's what is important. 😎

Tags
realistic fantasy