Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
Genesis

Default Re: The Film Reroll: an RPG/Film Podcast - using GURPS!

Hi Gekko! Great questions. The truth is, lots of what we do is very improvised, and we play pretty rules-light for the podcast to try and keep things moving. It helps that we're all friends outside of gaming, and most of us have some background in theater to - so we play a lot of "yes, and..."

If Jennifer has messed with the chronometer, things would have gone off the rails even more quickly than it did! We would have improvised a way around it, and it would have been very clear that we were off-script, but even those sorts of snafus can be fun when you let them happen. The paradox mechanic was designed before we started playing, but was not extensively play-tested (or play tested at all, really...) - we absolutely did not appreciate the snowball effect many of the consequences could have! But hey - it was funny, and since we already know it's a one-shot, it frees us from feeling too upset when something bad happens to our characters.

Labyrinth is an interesting case - it was clear to me listening that Joz was getting the hints she needed to get through, and it was also clear that Paulo had constructed the game to allow her to "fail forward" in the way that movie heroes often do. So I think it would have worked out either way, and part of the fun of the episode is listening to Joz argue with the riddles...

Yeah, I was exaggerating when I said Elsa would freeze the world - for reference, I gave her 100 points of cosmic modular abilities, so she essentially has whatever moderate-to-superpowered ice abilities Pitr can think of in the moment. In very Disney style, I didn't want the game to bog down with the exact mechanics of what she can or can't do. Frozen 2 should be up soon (maybe even today!), and we've finished recording the finale (spoilers-but-not-really-spoilers: it's Frozen 3), so I can tell you that Pitr had some fun with it. We'll see how it all comes together, but I was very satisfied with the feel of it... I'm glad you've been enjoying the show!

TL;DR: Frozen 2 should be up soon, glad you like everything, keep listening and commenting - we want to know what you think!
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
podcast, session recording