Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
BTRC

Default CORPS conspiracy setting re-released

I've just rebooted and released what I think is the original conspiracy rpg as a game setting for EABA v2.01. The new take on the conspiracy genre may be of interest to GURPS Illuminati fans, but I won't flog it here anymore than that unless requested to.

BTRC link

e23 link

Related to this, EABA v2 has just been upgraded to EABA v2.01. If you bought from e23 you should have gotten an upgrade notice. There is about 10 pages of new material and a separate weapon design guide (a sort of mini 3G3 for EABA).
BTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: CORPS conspiracy setting re-released

Alas, I haven't even had the time to give EABA a proper look-over, but after I do, I'll certainly look into this setting material.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
BTRC

If you're any sort of weapon tinkerer, I had to develop a lot of real world weapons for the CORPS setting, and the ways I used the power design system to do it are what I condensed into the separate weapon design doc for EABA v2.01. And it is worth a mention that this doc is a free download over at the BTRC site, so anyone is welcome to download and play with it. The 15 page intro setting for CORPS is also a freebie.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTRC View Post
If you're any sort of weapon tinkerer,
How do you think your system popped on my radar? I'm a proud owner of 3G^3
Old 10-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I'd like to hear more about your conspiracy setting, in fact. I'm generally interested in the "modern" genre, particularly in the style of the more brainy action-thriller movies.

I also happen to not like GURPS Illuminati much, so it could be useful if you could write a few paragraphs comparing-and-contrasting your work to that.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
BTRC

CORPS has two different types of conspiracies going on. The first is the "small c" conspiracy, the Iran-Contra, Operation Paperclip, Tuskeegee Experiment, Area 51 kind of stuff. These can stand alone as things that adventurers uncover, investigate or get involved in, or be linked to the "big C" conspiracies. The "big C" conspiracies deal with the really weird stuff far too many people believe, and are explained in CORPS by information overlap between realities, a sort of quantum information transfer between alternate selves. So for instance, there is a "nearby" alternate Earth where a certain President was actually born a foreign citizen and ineligible to be President. And a subset of people here have that reality impinging on their consciousness, so despite all evidence to the contrary, that's what they believe. Similarly, there is an alternate Earth where the Apollo Program never happened. And some poor sods over there are considered crazy for believing there was some secret space program and men actually walked on the Moon. This gets into Philadelphia Experiment, Bermuda Triangle and Montauk Project territory.

Adventurers probably start with the "conspiracies", but eventually get involved in "Conspiracies", and find that there are movers and shakers operating across probability, and not all of them are aware of each other. It is likely that at some point, characters will be able to cross over and influence things in one place so as to adjust the perceptions of reality in another. The central idea is that after centuries of things happening in the background, things are finally coming to a head and groups are starting to show their hands. So, the gameworld starts in the "now", but has the potential to go really weird. Aliens, killer robots, dimensional collapse, goateed evil twins, the works.

It is set up with three separate "big picture" plots, not all of which are required, but all of which can interact, interfere or be played off against each other, and lots of minor conspiracies and bit players which may or may not have built-in linkages to one or more of the major plots. About a hundred pages of the book is just writeups of the various major and minor factions in play. So even if players read it, there is no way to tell at first glance whether the GM is presenting something real or just a red herring.

There is no "magic" or mysticism in the setting, and it is all rather techno, but it is definitely several steps past your "Bourne Conspiracy" sort of modern setting. More like Primeval or Fringe (but without the time travellers as major players). So, it might not be your cup of tea.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
BTRC

As an excuse to bump the thread, CORPS has been reviewed at RPGgeek, so for more info:

http://rpggeek.com/thread/1056354/co...-3-for-eaba-v2

Tags
btrc, conspiracy, corps, eaba v2