Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Anders

Default Suffer an affliction when X

I want to make a werewolf who suffers Moderate Pain whenever he touches silver. Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for a point cost? Or some home-made rules?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Suffer an affliction when X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I want to make a werewolf who suffers Moderate Pain whenever he touches silver. Does anyone have any idea where to start looking for a point cost? Or some home-made rules?
Divine Curse
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Anders

Divine Curse tells me precious little. Judge on a case-by-case basis. And the worse the curse, the more points is it worth. I was looking for something more specific.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Divine Curse tells me precious little. Judge on a case-by-case basis. And the worse the curse, the more points is it worth. I was looking for something more specific.
Chronic Pain with Mitigator (not near silver)? That's probably getting into quirk territory, though, which maybe this trait should be be, especially if it is combined with Dread.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Anders

And more generally. Supposed he suffered Hallucination, or Nausea?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And more generally. Supposed he suffered Hallucination, or Nausea?
There isn't any non-catchall disadvantage for this, AFAICT. Really, though if the character also has Dread and/or Weakness, "Also suffers an affliction" is probably just a quirk.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

What about using Bio-Tech's allergy variant for Susceptible?

Susceptible (Silver; Moderate Pain, -80%) [0.2/level] (so probably a Allergy quirk)

or

Susceptible (Silver; Moderate Pain, Hallucinating, & Nauseated, +0%) [1/level]

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
bumbot

I'm looking at this exact problem right now with a race descended from the fae who experience moderate pain when holding, wearing, touching, or struck by worked metal of any kind. Susceptability from Bio Tech seems like the right way to go, but it seems off. Here's what I have:

When contact with metal is made, roll HT-3, failure causes moderate pain for a number of minutes equal to margin of failure, roll again at the end of this interval to recover, critical failure causes the Heart Attack condition.

Know what this disadvantage is worth? -3. Metal is very common, so -4 points per -1 to roll against HT+1. HT-3 means four levels, so -16 points. But the moderate pain condition is a modifier worth -80%, so 0.2 x -16 = -3.2. You get three measly points for potentially being at -2 to DX, IQ, skill and Will rolls (not to mention that pesky heart attack) for the duration of the average combat, which in a fantasy setting, is very likely to include the thing that will set you off. This doesn't seem right to me.

Maybe if there was a limitation that you automatically fail the HT roll, or don't even get one, that made it cost more? That would be fine, it's not something I want characters to just shrug off.
bumbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
starslayer

touching <element> causes pain with no damage is so minimal as to not even be worth considering beyond a quirk. If it also negated any high pain threshold it might be worth more <limitation on high pain threshold> due to the fact that a HPT werewolf might actually scream out if touched by silver.

If the pain actually DID something besides cause pain <damage, or fatigue> then it's just weakness. Fatigue damage through weakness would be workable if it's a TERRIBLE pain <eventually causing exhaustion>
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:05 AM   #10
Kalzazz

Eh, I think its worth something. Its going to be a problem when someone puts a barbed arrow into the werewolf
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantages, homebrew, vulnerabilities, vulnerability