Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: How to live forever in TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
So I'd tend to pro-rate your effective age relative of the lifespan of the creature you shift into. That means shifting into an 18-year-old is not an option
Inability to shift age invalidates the comment on page 44 under the disguise talent.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Inability to shift age invalidates the comment on page 44 under the disguise talent.
Which comment does it invalidate?

All I see is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise Talent description, ITL p.44
If a wizard casts a Glamor or shape-shift to perfect your physical appearance, you roll one fewer dice.
To me, that only suggests you can alter appearance with Shapeshifting to help a Disguise attempt, not change age.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #13
hcobb

Quote:
Which comment does it invalidate?

All I see is:
To me, that only suggests you can alter appearance with Shapeshifting to help a Disguise attempt, not change age.
I.e. you match the age of the target.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #14
Tywyll

Quote:
I.e. you match the age of the target.
Appearing young and being young are different things...
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:19 AM   #15
MikMod

ITL: "Shifting to the new shape gives you the physical, but not the mental, abilities of that shape"

Is it wrong to think that youth is a physical attribute?

Of course, Dissolve Enchantment becomes a death spell for you at some point...although looking it up, its not clear what the ST cost would be. Maybe 10? The same as your shapeshift?

Last edited by MikMod; 06-18-2019 at 05:38 AM.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #16
MikMod

Quote:
The barbarians have all been Word of Command - Believed into thinking that she is their goddess
Doesn't that wear off after one minute?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #17
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
ITL: "Shifting to the new shape gives you the physical, but not the mental, abilities of that shape"

Is it wrong to think that youth is a physical attribute?

Of course, Dissolve Enchantment becomes a death spell for you at some point...although looking it up, its not clear what the ST cost would be. Maybe 10? The same as your shapeshift?
To my thinking, age is not the same sort of physical attribute of a form such as "chicken", as feathers or attributes are.

The spell doesn't say it's about turning people into frogs, not about changing age.

Changing age is very difficult to do in all of the ways it is mentioned in TFT.

So assuming this spell lets you change your age is just "it doesn't say you can't" wishful attempted exploitation.

If the GM wants it to work that way, er, ok, whatever, but GMs can do that anyway, and in more appropriate ways than pretending that's an intended use of the spell all along, which it seems to me this clearly is not.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
MikMod

Quote:
To my thinking, age is not the same sort of physical attribute of a form such as "chicken", as feathers or attributes are.
Are you okay with a shapeshift of a one-legged person into a two-legged person?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
Skarg

Quote:
Not a mutilated two-legged person into a healthy two-legged person, no.

Similarly, no people with diseases into people without diseases, blind/deaf/mute people into sighted/hearing/voiced people, wounded people into healthy people, etc.

Shapeshifting changes someone into another "type" of creature, as in another race/species. Attributes can be re-arranged a bit, but that's all it says it allows. It doesn't say it lets you specify age or make your other problems go away.

Otherwise Shapeshifting is not just shapeshifting (which, it seems to me, is quite overpowered enough) into cure/fix anything, even all sorts of things there are (or were before Legacy) no other spells that offer such a fix for, or if they are, they involved very difficult/expensive potions to even do a small fraction of that.

I think age, limb loss, disease, etc are all important elements of play that shouldn't be trivially instantly removable by one spell that's supposedly for something else.

Of course, there might be some creative uses of shapeshiftng that might come close to some of those cures but in more interesting ways. e.g.:

Want to live longer? Maybe if you get shapeshifted into a longer-lived animal, such as a turtle? Maybe...

Want to be able to walk despite having lost a leg? Maybe if you shapeshift into a giant spider or crab, you'll only be missing one of many legs? Maybe...
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 PM   #20
JLV

Quote:
Personally, if it were in a game I were GM-ing, I would say your one-legged person would be a one-legged bunny or giant or whatever it was you were morphing them into -- if it was a wolf, they'd be a three-legged wolf, or if a spider, they'd be a seven-legged spider. I don't see shapeshifting as a way to heal something, nor do I believe that was ever the intent of the spell.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote