Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Cat

Default Of Transport Vehicles and Pallets

The rules for transport capacity of trucks and hovertrucks aren't quite clear on the topic of transporting cargo pallets.

The rules for both Trucks and Hovertrucks only mention Infantry capacity.
3.03 "It can carry two squads of infantry."

The only mention of them carrying pallets is under the LAD rules.

14.01 "However, it can be transported collapsed as a single cargo pallet by a Truck or Hovertruck, or a Vulcan, and set up quickly."
"The LAD is considered a Size 1 unit when set up. When collapsed, it can ride a Size 1 Truck or Hovertruck as cargo."

This seems to imply that each Truck or Hovertruck may only transport 1 pallet.

However, a Vulcan may transport an equal number of Infantry squads or pallets.

Are transport vehicles meant to carry only one pallet; or should it be two, the same number as squads?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
industrialchild

Default Re: Of Transport Vehicles and Pallets

The way it seems to me, from looking at the latest drafts of these rules for LADs and Vulcans, is this.

When LADs are set up, they are size 1. When they are broken down into a single cargo pallet they are effectively 1/3 of their size that they are when set up. Therefore 1 LAD on a single cargo pallet has a size of 1/3.

The Vulcan's Cargo Capacity (both internal cargo area and top cargo area can hold a total of 6 battlesuited infantry (each infantry being a size of 1) or 18 LADs on pallets (triple the amount of infantry)!

Because it's established that a Truck or Hovertruck can carry two infantry on the inside (size 2), I'd say it's safe to assume they both would be able to hold up to 6 LADs pallets! That's the way I interpret it anyways.

This could be wrong, but it seems logical to me.

EDIT (one of many): You know after all that Cat...I'm now thinking from reading the LAD rules that it is the intention of design to only allow one LAD pallet to "ride" per Truck/Hovertruck. The reason I'm thinking this now is because the Vulcan Cargo Capacity rules make it a point to tell you about how much space those areas can hold. They don't go into such detail in the LAD rules for Trucks/Hovertrucks. I believe this is the intention of design and it's just intended to be the way it is, as written. Until I'm told otherwise, 1 LAD pallet per Truck or Hovertruck.

Fantastic and thought provoking question Cat!

Last edited by industrialchild; 02-14-2019 at 12:20 AM.
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Cat

In the Battlebox rules, Vulcans can carry pallets and squads in equal measure:

"internal cargo space to carry a dozen Ogre missiles, or two Platoons (or six squads) of battlesuited infantry if they’re not claustrophobic, or six LADs on pallets,"

"The Vulcan’s top cargo area can carry a unit or units totaling Size 4, or four Platoons (or 12 squads), or 12 LADs on pallets, or two dozen Ogre missiles"

Other transport vehicles may or may not be as efficient at un/loading pallets as a Vulcan. As I've been polishing up my unit reference cards, I had noted that they can only carry one pallet as seems to be implied; but then it occurred to me to look closer at the wording and discovered that the intent is not explicit.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
offsides

I suspect this is a case of rules that were written at different times not being streamlined to make sense together. Based on the fact that a squad of INF can carry a LAD pallet one hex per turn in (nearly) any terrain, I'm inclined to think that a truck or hovertruck should be able to carry more than one. That said, the now OOP Ogre Miniatures Combine Set 10: Fast Convoy included HTs and palletized LAD minis, and it was clear that 1 palletized LAD would fit on a HT. Now those HTs were flatbeds, so it's certainly possible that a regular box truck could carry more than one (not to mention the speed difference, although a HT off roads isn't that much faster than a truck on roads).

So my totally off-the-cuff answer is that hovertrucks can carry 1 LAD pallet, and trucks can 2. Or just keep them both at 1 for consistency.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
hcobb

A hovercraft is more sensitive to weight than a road truck.

You could use GURPS OGRE of course.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Cat

I'm not attached to the philosophy of the answers. I do lean very much towards the simplicity that trucks and hovertrucks should be the same, whether or not they are the same as Vulcans.

Drew, would you care to give an official or unofficial opinion?

It would be nice to have a solid number before I print and laminate unit reference cards for TotalCon next week. Although, I have a 100-count box of 4" x 6" laminating pouches, so it won't be a great hardship to replace them later.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
industrialchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
In the Battlebox rules, Vulcans can carry pallets and squads in equal measure:

"internal cargo space to carry a dozen Ogre missiles, or two Platoons (or six squads) of battlesuited infantry if they’re not claustrophobic, or six LADs on pallets,"

"The Vulcan’s top cargo area can carry a unit or units totaling Size 4, or four Platoons (or 12 squads), or 12 LADs on pallets, or two dozen Ogre missiles"

Ah...Sorry to had confusion into the mix Cat, but thank you for clarifying. This is interesting. Obviously, I don't own the Battlebox and was referencing the rules on the resources page of New Units for ODE. I've updated my printed copies of the Vulcan rules to reflect what you've shared here.

I wonder why they haven't updated the current draft online, to reflect what's now in print?

The big questions for me right now are: Which one is cannon, the draft or what's in the printed rules for Battlebox? Is the reason they haven't updated the draft online, because their intention was to use those rules and accidentally made a reference to "platoons of battle-suited infantry" rather than saying "squads of battle-suited infantry"? I'm mighty curious to see how this pans out!

Last edited by industrialchild; 02-14-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
Which one is cannon, the draft or what's in the printed rules for Battlebox?
Under the Ogre Resources page, the pdf link for "The Rulebook – the definitive document" downloads the "Sixth Edition, Revised • Battle Box" rules. That would be the über canon one.
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/

Last edited by Cat; 02-15-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
industrialchild

Very cool! I can't believe I missed this! :D This is a great resource and I'm printing it out as I type this! Thank you Cat!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrialchild View Post
Very cool! I can't believe I missed this!
Things do get a bit squirrelly around here. No significant rules changes in the 6E(R) version, but a number of minor details have shifted or been added. I suspect the earlier draft rules that are up just haven't been swept away in house cleaning yet.