Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: Adventure for new players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
I have an intro night for my new players. We do some arena combat to learn the basic rules mechanics. Then I have them explore a 4-10 room labyrinth stocked with simple things: a couple goblin guards, rats, a green slime, etc. I usually include a trap, a hidden/locked door, a trash pile with a coin or two, and a store room with some basic supplies such as torches and a crowbar. The actually labyrinth layout doesn't matter, you can just throw down some megahex pieces as you go (or better yet, use the Random Labyrinth Drop Table in the box lid). If you are going to run a particular scenario next, this is a good place for the new player(s) to find a clue/hook for that session. I let them keep the loot they find and XPs if they survive. And I let them modify their characters afterward based on what they learned during this training time.
That's a great way to do it!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
larsdangly

Agreed; this is a great way to get a group of new players familiar with the rules and in the swing of things, and takes good advantage of the 'materials' of the game (MH tiles, chits, etc.)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #13
HeatDeath

The postcard adventures included with Hexagram (and the upcoming contest) seem like an excellent way to introduce new players to adventuring.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #14
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickard View Post
I have an intro night for my new players. We do some arena combat to learn the basic rules mechanics. Then I have them explore a 4-10 room labyrinth stocked with simple things: a couple goblin guards, rats, a green slime, etc. I usually include a trap, a hidden/locked door, a trash pile with a coin or two, and a store room with some basic supplies such as torches and a crowbar. The actually labyrinth layout doesn't matter, you can just throw down some megahex pieces as you go (or better yet, use the Random Labyrinth Drop Table in the box lid). If you are going to run a particular scenario next, this is a good place for the new player(s) to find a clue/hook for that session. I let them keep the loot they find and XPs if they survive. And I let them modify their characters afterward based on what they learned during this training time.
Expert hack: TFT short labyrinths are often more enjoyable when they are less like the D+D classics (e.g., the Caves of Chaos) and more like the opening sequence from Raiders of the Lost Arc. Combat in TFT is dangerous. And the core rules provide concrete guidance for tactical exploration (i.e., moving through the MH tiles, spotting things, navigating obstacles, etc.). So, a short labyrinth that contains a mix of standard rpg fights, nuisance creature encounters, physical obstacles, environmental hazards and traps makes for a nice evening. E.g., a dungeon's 'encounters' might be: a cliff; a rat swarm; a chasm; a water-filled tunnel; an arrow trap; a slime; a puzzle; and finally a traditional 'fight' (say, some goblins or a troll or what ever). That's an hour or two of play that will teach the rules, provide plenty of excitement and problem solving, and probably kill less than half your party.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
JLV

:-) I like that: "...probably kill less than half of your party." In any other RPG, that would be a snoozefest; in TFT it's a deadly challenge all too likely to result in multiple fatalities! :-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #16
larsdangly

Yes, one thing I love about GMing TFT is that there are many, many ways to present your players with a threat that works in some unusual way and isn't too deadly, but that they need to take seriously. Swarms are some of my favorites.