Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: When will the physical Dungeon Fantasy Box be available again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
To be clear: Not have to wait until the second half of the year for a Kickstarter project. Delivery of the final game and expansion, if the project is successful, would be late 2019 or early 2020.
Awesome. 2020 delivery is fine because I need to move to a place with more game storage space before then.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
Belisar

Quote:
To be clear: Not have to wait until the second half of the year for a Kickstarter project. Delivery of the final game and expansion, if the project is successful, would be late 2019 or early 2020.
You have me thrilled, sir!
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
bert

I am also thrilled, although I own the physical game. I think DFRPG deserves a continued life, and I think the Bestiary is an excellent initiative by SJG!
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #14
philreed
I do stuff and things.

A little more info:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2416152
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
tbone

Quote:
I like the new name (Monsters 2) and I like the art even more. Looks every bit as good on the art on the Other Guys' books. I hope there's lots more of the same inside the pages.

Really looking forward to this one! I can think of all kinds of DFRPG additions I'd like to see, but you can never go wrong with a book of monsters.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:32 AM   #16
Belisar

Quote:
Very nice. Hopefully the Printed Boxed Set will be an addon.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
Very nice. Hopefully the Printed Boxed Set will be an addon.
The reprint of the game is part of the project. If the project fails to meet its goal, we will not produce either the Monsters 2 book or the game reprint.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Your best bet for tracking the launch of a new Dungeon Fantasy campaign on Kickstarter is following the Warehouse 23 account.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/warehouse23
I encourage everyone who is interested to do this before the first week of March.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:14 AM   #19
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
I encourage everyone who is interested to do this before the first week of March.
Seems like something of a cryptic hint there <reads tea leaves>
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #20
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
Seems like something of a cryptic hint there <reads tea leaves>
Sean put something similar in the Foreword of Citadel at Norđvorn:

Citadel Foreword (by Sean Punch)

As with Hall of Judgment, I asked if Steve Jackson Games would like to contribute a Foreword to introduce the book. Within the hour, I had a remarkable piece by Sean, which I inserted into the layout.

Here it is in text form. I have the downloadable PDF available on my blog.

FOREWORD
By Sean Punch

For those who missed the Hall of Judgment foreword: Hi, I’m the designer of Steve Jackson Games’ Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. Gaming Ballistic has invited me back to write a few words about The Citadel at Norđvorn, which I find exciting for several reasons.

The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Kickstarter campaign was funded in less than three weeks (September 1-17, 2016)—a success by most measures.

Still, the RPG market is flooded nowadays, with new products pushing old ones off shelves in mere weeks, too. Success is hard to sustain. In our case, post- Kickstarter sales weren’t strong enough to justify more in-house support for the game.

Fortunately for us, Douglas Cole—hajarl of Gaming Ballistic—wanted to take up the quarrel (jarls love quarrels). He proposed adapting Lost Hall of Tyr as Hall of Judgment for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, and that Kickstarter campaign was fully funded in 11.5 hours on June 19, 2018.

That’s a success even by exacting standards! On the heels of that success, Doug came back to SJ Games and asked if we’d be interested in seeing him publish more support. He and I started an informal discussion on July 25, 2018. That heated up over the summer and eventually involved Alain Dawson, Director of Licensing; Phil Reed, CEO; and Steve Jackson, Hajarl (okay, “President and Editor-in-Chief”).

It took considerable number-crunching and soulsearching, but Doug’s figures and answers finally convinced us: On October 16, 2018, SJ Games issued Gaming Ballistic a license to publish three Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game supplements, The Citadel at Norđvorn being the first. We’ve since signed off on a smaller item in addition to these.

Now we watch and wait. If this supplement and the two that follow do well, we’re likely to extend Doug’s license further. I won’t claim the sky’s the limit, mostly because it isn’t my place to commit Doug’s time. That said, if the lean operation that is Gaming Ballistic can support a product from SJ Games—which is larger and more diversified, with the overhead that implies—we might just have a winning formula.

But there’s more to it than that.

For one thing, thanks to the success of Hall of Judgment, SJ Games has decided to reexamine supporting the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game in house. I’m writing this in February 2019, and in March, we’ll be launching a Kickstarter for a reprint of the game along with the release of a second collection of monsters, Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2. If you’re reading this in the future, you’ll know how that went… but all I can do right now is cast the runes. Still, if our Kickstarter and The Citadel at Norđvorn both fly, you can expect more releases across the board.

For another, Doug has done me an honor: He tells me that a mini-setting of mine—GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Setting: Caverntown—was an inspiration for how to present a town in RPG writing. In his words, it’s like a checklist for everything you have to include if you want the place to be not just interesting color but also useful in a game with real players who want to do really crazy stuff. It inspired not the locations in Hall of Judgment and The Citadel at Norđvorn, but how they were presented. Your support of those works is a big vote of confidence for me, personally.

But this is Doug’s party, not mine, so I’ll get back on message: Thank you Doug and thank you Doug’s customers! The continued backing of Gaming Ballistic’s projects is a fantastic vote of support for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.

Sean Punch, GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games February 14, 2019
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote