Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-16-2019, 08:00 AM   #141
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

West: "We can use your help with handling people, but it will be slower. You can go do whatever if you want to."

Dr. Kuse: "Oh, you can't go virtual. That's why you really want to do things. You're cooped up in that overstuffed hallway. You can stick around here and help. I don't know if any other team needs you or not."

A popup appears on the system access unit.

There are no places currently requesting help with your qualifications
Ping!
There are 167 duties that are underfilled due to personal and medical leave

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #142
Plane

"Is there some training I could do to increase my qualifications so that I could help with some underfilled duty?"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #143
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

A list of tasks and possible courses fills the screen. Most of them seem fairly technical. IT admins. Medical training. Sensor operation. Robotics repair. Data analysis. Courses exist for all of them, but a lot have "ANI required" next to them.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #144
Plane

"Which of the non-ANI courses has no prerequisites so that I could begin it and qualify for that job?"
Old 01-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #145
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

There are starting level courses, but none of them qualify her for anything on this ship. She doesn't let that stop her. She analyzes which jobs requires the least certifications, both in terms of time and by the number of qualifications.

The results astound her. No one on this vessel seems to be doing any work without 8 years of post-secondary training. The equivalent of the repairmen seem to require some sort of doctorate! And that's without the gobs of experience recommended. No-one here seems to be at a starting level. Its a touch ridiculous. A suspicion touches the back of her mind, and checking it reveals no one on this vessel is under 40. Though perhaps she's under 40. Maybe.

The shortest training times are for remote robot operation, but that seems to be a skill that requires a lot of physical skill. And an ANI. It occurs to her that this is a prestige mission, and they wanted the best of the best. The computer has probably been set to over-qualify all candidates. Either that or its cover for an extensive nepotism system, like the exams of ancient china. Where did that thought come from?

She sets about finding what vessels that aren't first of their kind require for some of those jobs. And in all of this she notices she's pretty good at finding out information. There seem to be several independent regulatory bodies at play here. The advanced age for employment is not particularly uncommon. She checks life-spans, and finds them to be very high, even higher than... than what? anything she's ever seen? certainly higher than historical norms. Why does she keep going off on these tangents!?

OCC: There is not an easy route for training. Imagine if a very bright high-school dropout asked "Whats the quickest way to get a job on the International space station"? If you want to peruse training, go ahead and pick a direction. Your character is very personable, and seems to have research training, as well as inclination for history, sociology, and demographics.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #146
Plane

"Perhaps there is something I could do in finding forgotten approaches to dealing with problems that could give some insights into modern problems here? Everyone is so specialized that they may only see solutions from the perspective of their expertise... how open-ended is counseling?"
Old 01-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #147
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

OCC: counseling as in psychiatric counseling or something else?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #148
Plane

(just general "guidance counselor" type stuff, not MD)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #149
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Life Coach" is actually a fairly common profession among these people. There are several different schools of thought, methods, and philosophies a life coach can espouse. There are a few on this vessel, actually more than the statistical average, and they are currently one of the "short" categories.

A "solutions researcher" seems to be the closest to someone who looks into forgotten approaches. They sift through reams of data looking for previous solutions to problems, often dealing with the past, but just as often obscure companies or techniques developed and forgotten only recently in the past.

An ANI is very recommended for a solutions researcher, but rigs that make it possible to work without one are available. the term "disability compliance" float into Olive's mind, along with the thought about how uncommon historically such consideration is.

The Life Coach has more flexibility about the ANI. Actually, there are a few schools of thought that are explicitly done without an ANI, though they seem to be a bit more niche.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #150
Plane

"I'd like to learn more about the rigs that help with Disability Compliance training, since there's no shortage of life coaches and it seems like there's a lot of people becoming disabled here who will need help until they figure out what's going on."