Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Colarmel

Default Against the Rat Men Experiences? (Spoilers)

Has anyone run this yet? I'm running it with my players and I don't see how the fight with the lich marquessa doesn't lead to a tpk. There is of course the option to not fight the lich marquessa, but if they do, they're fighting in some pretty difficult to dispel mystic mist, and against an opponent who would be a tough fight even with perfect visibility.

Any experience or insights on that one?
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
Tom H.

Default Re: Against the Rat Men Experiences? (Spoilers)

I can't help you with your particular scenario.

However, I think at some point it would be cool to start a thread or threads discussing strategies to fight some of the difficult monsters in Monsters.

For example, looking at a Jelly, I don't see how somebody who becomes engulfed would really escape.

You need to beat a 25 in a strength contest, can only try every 10 seconds, and will be paralyzed for minutes long before that. I haven't thought about how essential magic would be here.

My only thought is that you either avoid contact with jellies or hope you have buff friends who can do lots of damage (vs. Homogeneous and Injury Reduction 4) in the seconds before you dissolve. However, in the latter case, the rules provide that you may be taking a bunch of collateral damage from friendly blows.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
For example, looking at a Jelly, I don't see how somebody who becomes engulfed would really escape.
By teammates chopping the jelly to bits. However, it has Move 1; if you don't get surprised, surrounded, or trapped it should never get the chance to hit you (pit trap with jelly at the bottom, mmm).
Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
However, in the latter case, the rules provide that you may be taking a bunch of collateral damage from friendly blows.
Fire works quite well.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
JMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colarmel View Post
Has anyone run this yet? I'm running it with my players and I don't see how the fight with the lich marquessa doesn't lead to a tpk. There is of course the option to not fight the lich marquessa, but if they do, they're fighting in some pretty difficult to dispel mystic mist, and against an opponent who would be a tough fight even with perfect visibility.

Any experience or insights on that one?
I haven't run this yet, but I think the goal is to not fight. The text does say that she will gamble over the gem, so that is an option. If it does turn into a fight, then yeah, she is designed to be very hard.

A fight is probably going to require someone cast Dispell Magic to clear the room. This is going to take some time and likely make the caster a huge target for the lich, so the party will need to protect him/her while they cast.

Dealing with the ghouls and skeletons while not being hit by a Mass Daze or some other Area spell is going to be hard. Retreating up the stairs and using Wizard Eye or similar to get a view into the room to cast a spell might be an option also.

If I were running this, I'd probably try to drop huge hints at how potentially deadly a fight would be. If I had a group that wanted to kill everything in sight, then I'd probably depower the lich a bit and drop the Mistic Mist.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Colarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
I haven't run this yet, but I think the goal is to not fight. The text does say that she will gamble over the gem, so that is an option. If it does turn into a fight, then yeah, she is designed to be very hard.

If I were running this, I'd probably try to drop huge hints at how potentially deadly a fight would be. If I had a group that wanted to kill everything in sight, then I'd probably depower the lich a bit and drop the Mistic Mist.
The stakes there are a bit dramatic, and it'd almost be disappointing if they didn't lose at least once.

But yeah. That's probably the way to go. My players are going to be short their wizard, and I'll play her to provide essential information, but not to offer combat help. Which should dissuade them from thinking that they can take on a Lich. As should the reminder that they don't actually have the necessary tools to kill her since she can't be removed from her crypt.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote